Model Cars Magazine Forum

headrests for '60's open top customs

no pics yet, struggle along with me on this.

anybody building an open-topped '60's custom (usually one that has the rear seats deleted and panned over) needs to come up with a set or two of hip, stylish headrests.... the mainstay of the '60's wild showroom customs along with full length sidepipes and wide oval radials...

trouble is, nobody molds these things. the few in kits are designed for THAT kit....so here's a short tutorial on faking some up. you'll need some old MPC or AMT front stock bucket seats, the less detailed the better, a razor saw, some sheet plastic, your fave glue/cement, and sandpaper in usual grades.

pick your seats (NO the Car seats) and determine how much you want to use of it. the backrest is the major portion; if it has a headrest your choice is to cut it off or sand it flush with the wider seatback. either way works. follow along...

cut the backrest off the seat bottom so that the bottom of the backrest forms a straight opening. smooth the cut.

sand the front of the seat until it is smooth, no details at all. the sides and back can be ADZED smooth (adzing is scraping with the edge of the blade, leaving a very smooth area. adzing workds for several things. once the extrior of the unit is smooth, match the two pieces for length. MPC and AMT often had seats which were different sizes, no big thing, we're fixing that. once the headrests are the same length, cement a piece of scrap styrene over the open end to form a cushion pad for the unit.sand this piece until the seams disappear. you may want ADD a strip of thin styrene around the pad end to define the shape better. up to you. determine the centrerline of the bottom face and make some thin guidlines to follow there. cut some 1/9x1/4 strip diagonally to form bases for the hearest and cement in place. i give my base a forward thrust by putting the forward angle at the top of the base. once the cement is cured, a little shaping to give the base some style, and paint to match your '60's factory dream rod. the Dodge Polara "Charger" inspired kit i'm doing has these....