Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint color identification

I know I've posted this picture before, but this is a completely different question, so I created a new topic so people would see it.

GreenIsuzu.jpg

I'm trying to find a way to identify this paint color, both for scale purposes and 1:1 purposes. For scale, the closest I can get is Green Go by testors, but it's not limey enough. Sublime Green is way to, limey, I guess that would be best to describe it.

For 1:1 purposes, is there an easy way to determine paint color? Isn't there a camera that can determine a paint code or something that body shops use? I may be able to get a piece of this truck to determine paint code, if that is possible. The truck was totaled, but he thinks he might still have a piece of the wing, or the old tailgate before he smoothed the new one into the roll pan and bed.

When he had it repainted after some body mods, he THINKS the body shop called it shamrock green. The particular body shop that he had it painted at uses Dupont paints. I cant find any swatches or chips online for this color, except for house paints, and it's not close.

LC

Edited by loudcherokee

Home Depot or any really good paint supplier should have a machine that reads the pigments in the paint and will give you the exact code needed. I have an Align Trex 450 helicopter with an Airwolf fuselage that has a custom mixed metallic gray color on it. I remade the tail fin to more acurate shape and had to have it painted to match. So I sent the stock tail piece to a local paint supplier and they matched it up perfectly. I sprayed the new tail piece and it look's like the factory painted it.

I forget the local paint-suppliers name, but Home Depot's paint section should have same machine and can probably mix up a batch of matching color for you as well.

Home Depot or any really good paint supplier should have a machine that reads the pigments in the paint and will give you the exact code needed. I have an Align Trex 450 helicopter with an Airwolf fuselage that has a custom mixed metallic gray color on it. I remade the tail fin to more acurate shape and had to have it painted to match. So I sent the stock tail piece to a local paint supplier and they matched it up perfectly. I sprayed the new tail piece and it look's like the factory painted it.

I forget the local paint-suppliers name, but Home Depot's paint section should have same machine and can probably mix up a batch of matching color for you as well.

Incase I cant get an actual piece of the truck, can they do this from a picture?

LC

Take the remaining piece to an automotive jobber (such as an auto parts store that sells paints to the auto body shop) and ask if they can do a color scan on it. They may first use a wax cleaner on it, then scan the surface. The computer will formulate the mixing code.

Photo's and real-life do not share the same color's. I don't think you can get the paint to match perfectly from a photograph. The photograph itself has different properties than that of the real object and that alone might throw off the color-matching machine. What you need is an actual example from the full scale truck.

Well, bad news. The pieces of his truck that he had left over were tossed, so I wont be able to get a scan of the color. :rolleyes: The only other two options I have now is hopefully the body shop where he had it painted 10 years ago will still have record of his paint code, or, I can take as many pictures as he can find for me and take them to an auto paint store to see if they can mix it by eye. Maybe if they can mix up some green go and add a bit of yellow to it, it will give me the shade I need.

LC