Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ed Roth "Road Agent" build

charlzrocks

Ok, new to the forum here, so be brutal if you must! :lol:

Here is the finished chassis/engine assembly. I decided not to detail the fuel tank retainer bands and fuel cap due to the fact that about 95% of this will be hidden by the body assembly. I know, lazy but at least I striped the rear whitewalls. :lol: These Ed Roth kits are a bit of a challenge as you have to assemble the chassis and the mounting areas for the parts are pretty small. Lots of chrome scraping for glue retention. However I am pleased with it so far. Hate the fact that ya gotta glue on the wheels tho. :angry:

MysCh1.jpg

MysCh2.jpg

MysCh3.jpg

MysCh4.jpg

Sorry about the title mixup....I got 4 Roth models to build all with strange names....(AND I'm an old fart!) Thanks Malibu!

Edited by charlzrocks

Ok, Alright already!! ROAD AGENT!! Jeeeeez! I mess up on a simple title and they are all on my case about it...... ;):lol::lol:

I am doing all the Roth "Bubble Tops" ... Beatnik Bandit (complete)

Road Agent (under construction)

Mysterion (yet to build)

Beatnik Bandit 2 (yet to purchase)

and......the "Outlaw" show rod.( I know it's not a bubble top, but I already bought the kit !)

Now if I can find a display case that will fit all 5 of these, I will be set up! :o

Edited by charlzrocks

Ed sure did love the chrome. Looks like you're off to a good start. That battery mount sure looks funky (not your fault) hanging cantilever off the side like that.

Are these all Revell kits? I just finished the Outlaw, so I can symphathize with you.

Here is the interior of the Road Agent (steering wheel/column mounts on underside of body)

RA_Int.jpg

Although the instructions say the entire interior should be pink, from the few reference pics I got, only the carpet and fur like areas are pink. The vinyl is kind a pinkish brown, so I did my own take on it. The reel to reel player was tedious. And yes the battery mount looks stupid, it should have been a dropped post mount. I almost wanted to put it in the trunk next to the reel to reel, but there wasn't the clearance needed and I wanted to stay true to the original.

Which brings me to this....PINK bubble top??? WTF?? The 1:1 was an ORANGE bubble top. I could probably dye it orange using some clear acrylic yellow paint and future...but hell why risk the whole kit?!?

All the kits are Revell based. The Road Agent is Revell/Monogram, Beatnik Bandit was Revell/HotRod.

Edited by charlzrocks

It looks like you're off to a good start!!

Yeah, those old Roth kits are really tought to build...but thanks to Revell for trying to stay true to the scale of the small parts AND maintain a high level of detail at the same time.

WOW!! That reel-to-reel player really dates the car. I don't think my kids even know what a reel-to-reel player is!!

Thanks for sharing,

...Also good to know I'm not the only one who thinks his kits are tricky at times...

When you get tired of building those fidgety old Revell kits you can always try what I did...build a Roth "what if"...I had a lot of fun building what turned into a 3 piece Roth "what if" set.

DSC06265-vi.jpg

Keep up the GREAT work!!

Later,

Looking good so far!

For the tinted bubble top, you could try to use Rit dye. I would certainly try it on some scrap windows first and don't use too much heat as it could melt or distort the bubble.

Keep us in the loop on how you did it!

I'm one of those that like small mounting points as it is more in scale with the model.

Looking good so far!

For the tinted bubble top, you could try to use Rit dye. I would certainly try it on some scrap windows first and don't use too much heat as it could melt or distort the bubble.

Keep us in the loop on how you did it!

I'm one of those that like small mounting points as it is more in scale with the model.

After making the decision to use Candy Apple Red over a Gold base (to get a very slight orange base hue) I am thinking it would be better just to leave the pink bubble top as is. I did however find that my local (if you can call 50 miles away local) HobbyLobby has those clear plastic christmas tree ornaments that you fill with assorted what-nots for about a buck. So next time I am there I will grab a few and experiment with em to see what works. I am definately gonna build a scratch-built bubble top in the future, so this will be a great experiment.

I am currently waiting on some riffle files that I ordered from American Science and Surplus (only $5 a set) to get here so I can begin the body work around the base of the "wings".

When you get tired of building those fidgety old Revell kits you can always try what I did...build a Roth "what if"...I had a lot of fun building what turned into a 3 piece Roth "what if" set.

DSC06265-vi.jpg

Keep up the GREAT work!!

Later,

Hey...your "what if" trio looks superb! Right along the lines of what Roth might have done, KUDOS!

Looks good so far, Charlz! Was that Corvair engine set up for reverse rotation on the real car? Or maybe it used a non-Corvair transaxle?

I've often thought of building a T bucket rod with front drive using a Corvair engine/transaxle. The lack of a radiator would allow for a sloping hood and streamlined nose with maybe a flat "shelf" over the tranny like a 37 Cord.

Crazy, huh?

Sam

Ok, Alright already!! ROAD AGENT!! Jeeeeez! I mess up on a simple title and they are all on my case about it...... :)B)B)

I am doing all the Roth "Bubble Tops" ... Beatnik Bandit (complete)

Road Agent (under construction)

Mysterion (yet to build)

Beatnik Bandit 2 (yet to purchase)

and......the "Outlaw" show rod.( I know it's not a bubble top, but I already bought the kit !)

Now if I can find a display case that will fit all 5 of these, I will be set up! :)

Sorry If I sounded like I was Harsh, I did'nt Mean too be critical I was just confused about the kit because I have two of them, and was questioning my sanity for a minute LoL.

Sorry If I sounded like I was Harsh, I did'nt Mean too be critical I was just confused about the kit because I have two of them, and was questioning my sanity for a minute LoL.

No, no,no! I was just being sarcastic and maybe I myself came off as sounding harsh...(thus the smilies after my initial response)

No harm, no foul.......you were just correcting my error bud!

Looks good so far, Charlz! Was that Corvair engine set up for reverse rotation on the real car? Or maybe it used a non-Corvair transaxle?

I've often thought of building a T bucket rod with front drive using a Corvair engine/transaxle. The lack of a radiator would allow for a sloping hood and streamlined nose with maybe a flat "shelf" over the tranny like a 37 Cord.

Crazy, huh?

Sam

Not sure what an original corvair looks like myself (I just build the models, not a car mechanic here)

but I did read about it on Mr. Gasser.com here is the verbatim on the setup:

Road Agent was first of many of Ed's rear engine show cars.

Ed used a Corvair engine and a uniquely turned upside down Corvair transmission. Other features include a frame made from chrome moly tubing and a '37 Ford suspension with a single VW torsion bar.

Doing a front engine corvair powered rod could be cool ;) if the design was zoomy enough and you could come up with the correct parts! You're not crazy....you are just INSPIRED! :D Good Luck!

Edited by charlzrocks