Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Hot Rod Mustang Street Machine. ( McLaren )

Abell82

100_0483.jpg

This is the companion to the Revell Turbo Cobra, that I built. (See it here, if you missed it:Turbo Cobra )

I used only one part from an MPC Fox Mustang on this build, to keep it "simple". :lol:

The Interior: First I cut out the rear seat, and replaced it with sheet styrene. (I REALLY hate the rear seat that comes molded into the interior bucket!!) I then built a roll cage from styrene rod.

I scrounged up a console, from a Honda Civic(?) and installed it, after making the necessary adjustments. I then salvaged a pair of buckets from a Mach III. I used the kit's dash, and steering wheel to finish off the interior. Black embossing powder was used for carpeting.

100_0398.jpg

The Chassis, etc: The chassis was salvaged from the parts box, and is actually comprised of three different chassis's, and styrene strips. Custom made sub-frame connectors, were once again added. Catalytic converters were again removed. Straight pins were used for exhaust hangers.

100_0331.jpg

The engine & suspension: The suspension was modified to accept a set of Fujimi Watanabe wheels. A convertible X brace was added to tie the suspension to the chassis. The engine from the Mach III Mustang Concept was used. The air intake tubes were modified, to accommodate it's new home. Radiator is from a 96 Mustang Convertible. Extra cooling fans from a Honda Civic(?) were added to the front of the radiator, to help cool the super-charged engine.

100_0404.jpg

The body: Modifications include; Removing ALL under hood components, and replacement with those from a 94+ Mustang. Addition of a strut tower brace. Addition of a "super-charger coolant reservoir" Removal of the Mustang fender flairs. Removing a section of roof to install a "t" bar. Installation of convertible mirrors, and mirror "block off" plates. Installation of a custom, rear spoiler. Modification to the front air dam. And customizing the hood.

100_0428.jpg

Simple huh? :lol:

Edited by Abell82

Dave, not sure I follow? The McLaren kit is supposed to represent the M81 or Enduro Mustang's. It just doesn't do a very good job of it.

Anyhow, I didn't need the parts, from the request a while back for these. I needed those parts for the 2 Capri RS's, that I have yet to start. :lol: I was trying to plan ahead a little, for once. I didn't get as many parts, as I am going to need for those though. So the Capri's will have to wait, until I can get my parts bin built back up. I want to build them more stock like the Turbo Cobra, then wild like this one. :lol:

Edited by Abell82

i picked up a Revell Capri RS kit myself not long ago after a long search. i hope you don't mind me borrowing some of your tips to make a much improved version.

Dave

Not at all. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I would be happy to help, if I can.

That's two nice builds so far from you on the Fox plate form. I have been slowly been making a stock 79 Capri like my real one. Looking forward to your stock Capri build.

Well, I dunno about stock, they always start out like that, just never seem to stay that way for long! ;)

Edited by Abell82

• 1 month later...

Nice job ,

I had a 1:1 Capri that I converted to a 93 Mustang GT I loved the way the flared fenders set it off

I think the Mclaren that the kit was based off could be the ASC Mclarens made by the same people that did the ASC Maclaren Mercedes Benz

see the links:

http://www.ascmclaren.org/

http://www.ascmclaren.org/

Edited by white00gt