Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rusty and overwhelmed

JayC

The problem with going back to Lowes or Home Depot is the same I have for my LHS (thanks for the clarification :D ). All three are quite a distance away (about 65-70 miles) as I live in the country. We do have a Wal-Mart nearby, along with K-Mart, Tractor Supply Co., and some miscellaneous hardware stores. I will check Wal-Mart for some fittings as they carry Campbell Hausfeld stuff. If not there, maybe TSC has some fittings.

Aaron, you pretty much, in a round-about way, hit on why I went with the Harbor Freight airbrush. I know it may not be as good as one of the name brands, and some day I will upgrade. I got the HF brush to practice with. I don't want to plunk down $50-100 for a good brush to find out I really stink at it. I just wanted something that was better than a spray can. I'm trying to restart an old hobby on a budget. :o

Guest Gramps-xrds

Jay, learning to use an airbrush is like doing anything else. It'll take practice as does using rattle cans or anything you do for that matter. When I bought my first really cheap airbrush back in the mid 60s, I got it to do camo paint on tanks. It was a piece of junk and still is but it did the trick. Later I got a good Badger 150 then another and then 2 Paasche VLs and all the time I got better and better. Till it got to the point I could do stuff like these. So don't be discouraged if things don't always turn out the way you want. I turned out a lot of pretty lousy stuff but each time I learned more.

Dscf0324.jpg

Dscf0327.jpg

Edited by Gramps-xrds

• 2 weeks later...

Gramps, those paintings are AMAZING! They're top notch! If I could get to be half as good as you I would be satisfied! Sorry I didn't respond sooner as I didn't even know you replied. I rarely get e-mail notifications to my threads for some reason, even though I check the option to get notified.

My airbrush finally came today. For $8 shipping, I thought it would get here sooner. :lol: The invoice said the air hose I had ordered was out of stock. Would be nice if Harbor Freight would say so on their website. When I opened it, I was kind of surprised to see this on the 1/8" connector.

IMG_03752.jpg

Is it a quick connect? I now wonder, can I get a quick connect with a 1/8" connection that would fit into a 1/4" quick connector? I never even thought about that until today.

Guest Gramps-xrds

Hmm. I have no idea about that. I've never seen a 1/8th connector like that, unless it's to stick in the hose.

The paintings are just to show what can be done w/ an airbrush and some auto lacquer if you try hard enough. :DB):lol:

The male part of that fitting is for a plastic hose if you use one. The female end is for the pipe fitting. I didn't use it for my setup. I have the HF gun and a Paasche VLS. They have different fittings and I didn't want to buy different hoses, so what I did was to go to an art supply store and I bought quick disconnect fittings for the hose on the gun side. They are small fittings. I'll try and post some pics of what they look like. This way I use one hose for both guns. Now, I use the HF gun alot more than the Paasche. There is no real reason why I do, other than I got the HF gun first and then the wife got me the Paasche for Christmas (Sweet of her LOL). Dan

Edited by 59 Chevy Impala

Thanks for the clarification of what that things is. :D I don't have any plans on actually using it. I'm still trying to piece everything together I will need. It's rather slow going at the moment.

Edited by JayC