Model Cars Magazine Forum

Air hose adapter question

JayC

If you read my other thread in this forum you probably know I am looking at the deluxe airbrush from Harbor Freight. I think it would be a good brush to learn with and then move up later on. I also recently got a Campbell Hausfeld 1-gallon pancake compressor. It came with a 25' coil hose. It didn't come with a regulator but I am going to try and get one. I'm hoping Wal-Mart may have one. Anyway, my compressor came with some accessories:

th_IMG_03542.jpg

From left to right they are: inflation needle, adapter, two inflation valves, and tire chuck. What I'm wondering is, will the adapter work with an airbrush? I'm thinking it would. Here's a couple other views.

th_IMG_03592.jpg

th_IMG_03622.jpg

As you can see it is plastic. This kind of worries me. I tried looking on Amazon and Harbor Freight for a metal one, but I can't find anything. I just used "air hose adapter" as my search terms hoping I could see something similar. If it would work with an airbrush and I could find a metal one I'd love it. I'm not too keen on getting an additional 10' airbrush hose from HF, but will if I have to.

You guys have been a great help so far and I really appreciate it!

i would suggest stopping in at a local menards shop

if there isnt any mear you i think lowe's or similair might carry the part you need, but i know i bought mine at menards

i actually also got my first aribrush after a decade of abscence there

it is a very simple single action brush , gravity fed, that cost me 25 dollars and came with several feet of hose AND the adapter you need

you know, i would actually suggest getting that brush for a starter

i mean, at that price, you cant really go wrong

I didn't really think about it until now. I got to looking at the adapter I posted above and didn't think it looked like a 1/4". I measured it and the larger opening that connects to the air hose is actually 1/2". The smaller end is 1/4". The HF site says the airbrush has an 1/8" connection. Will I be able to find an adapter to go from 1/2" to 1/8" if I use the coil hose? The only reason I'm torn between the airbrush hose and coil hose is I want to use this compressor for other things, too. That's the main reason I don't really care for hobby compressors. I suppose I could eventually replace the coil hose with another type of braided hose and use a 1/2" to 1/8" adapter for that, too. I went to the Campbell Hausfeld website and looked up the coil hose used with my compressor. Their website says it has 1/4" ends. Am I missing something?

Guest Gramps-xrds

The fitting you measured is 1/4in. Pipe is measured ID instead of OD so it's gonna measure about 1/2in OD depending on what schedule it is. But that will only serve to confuse you more. ;):D;) Trust me it's the same size as the braided hose and the coiled. The best thing you can do if you're gonna try and use both hoses is get yourself a quick disconnect and a couple of the plug ins for each hose. That way all you gotta do is pop in what you need.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was really starting to get concerned. I like the idea of quick couplers. I wanted a small, normal air compressor because there have been quite a few times when portable air was needed. Running an airbrush off it is just a bonus. :lol: Right now I think I am leaning towards the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter like I posted above. I could then keep the standard 1/4" hose (coil or braided, likely braided down the line when I get set up) and then just throw a quick coupler on the adapter.

Guest Gramps-xrds
Thanks for clearing that up. I was really starting to get concerned. I like the idea of quick couplers. I wanted a small, normal air compressor because there have been quite a few times when portable air was needed. Running an airbrush off it is just a bonus. :lol: Right now I think I am leaning towards the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter like I posted above. I could then keep the standard 1/4" hose (coil or braided, likely braided down the line when I get set up) and then just throw a quick coupler on the adapter.

You don't need that adapter. The braided hose already has a 1/8th NPS fitting on it. That fitting is only to go on the airbrush.