Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

I found a REALLY big quarter!!!

If you really crave insanity, try N scale - 1/160. Believe it or not, they make very nice Classic Metal models and other companies make N scale auto and truck kits. Curbside, yes, but I even found a 51 Chev convertible with opening doors, separate wheels, opening hood, and pretty darn nice from a proportional point of view. No, I won't be wiring the motor. lol.

As for HO scale (1/87), try Jordan Models kits, which are 1/87 versions of AMT Trophy Series kits. They run about $8-10 in styrene plastic, are incredibly detailed and fun to build. The Model T's, A's, and '32's have see thru wire wheels, their selection includes a 32 Highboy Hot Rod, among lots of others. Right now, I am finishing off a '25 T roadster while the paint and putty dries on other projects on my workbench.

I do not want to get caught up in the work of micro minatures of autos and trucks, but it is out there. Look at the paint fidelity and detail of Micro Minatures and now if you look hard in Wally Mart, you will find 1/87 cars detailed to the max for $1.

I also build model railroads now that I am retired, and since I am a model car builder, I attach a higher standard to the vehicls on my layouts than the regular model railroader, but there are guys out there that display insanity enough to superdetail a car that makes a quarter seem large. No matter what the scale, to me the allure is the same.

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman