Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Chevelle SS

Dragline

So this is the Monogram 1970 Chevelle SS kit from 1980 I have been going on about @ kit reviews. Seems better as a kit the more I work with it despite the few glaring inaccuracies. I think it may be the best one kitted so far which really makes a point about this car being woefully under kitted. I'm not going full hog but just plug wires and nice paint.

I hit it with Duplicolor primer [grey] followed by Testors Model Master italian red laquer. That stuff is just foolproof. Black interior is drying as I write this [Tamiya Semi Black, the best I have seen]. I also shot the hood with it. I went a little overboard with the underneath overspray but whatever. It's not going to be judged at NNL or anything. The stripes were a nightmare that just curled right up so only the deck will have them. The hood decals folded like origami and then tore [i cursed a bit] so I made lemonade. Testors clear is now drying and then a rub and buff with the Novis should produce a nice finish. MCG PE detail set for the badging and that's about it.

Bob F

dxd2jc.jpg

4k91yr.jpg

10rvnr5.jpg

Edited by Dragline

A little rub out with Novis after 3 days dry time [i put the clear on thinly] and she's ready for the badging so I went to work tonight.

MCG PE detail sets are Da Bomb! If you are new to PE DON'T be afraid. A little Tamiya clear paint to attach them [after sanding the edges and painting the details] and they are great. the steering wheel applique is especially nice. Lay down some Tamiya Semi black and when it's dry sand away till you get the trim shiny. Always use a roundish object a bit more round than the object you are applying to to achieve a nice fit instead of it being flat is all you need to do. Roll it between your finger and the round object to get the perfect curve for the PE part. Add a little Tamiya clear [i apply the clear to the body instead of the part]. Use a good magnifying lense for just the right placement.

Motor and chassis are done and the interior is coming along. The kit has electric window buttons on the console so I am going with electric for the doors as well. I think the rears are still roll ups but I am still searching for a good pic. I may just put em on anyway for added detail. Simple engine wiring on this. Maybe a PE radiator hose clamp or 2.

I'll have this finished for the weekend. I'll post it when I'm done

Bob F

30szf3s.jpg

ipz8gh.jpg

wheejb.jpg

I got around to foiling and installing the windows today. My foiling skills need work as it has been some time, but it's decent. I have the other door handle to do and reattach the Chevelle script that fell off during handling [DOH!].

Interior is in the background and I just love that MCG detail fret. Handles and goodies for the interior add life to otherwise dull plastic. This kit is good in that it doesn't have the pulls or other pieces engraved so there isn't any sanding off of things.

Should be done soon.

Thanks for looking.

Bob F

123xr3o.jpg

1q39ep.jpg

2u6h579.jpg

Thanks Pat. Coming from you.... well, it means a great deal.

Seems like my posts are not as popular as some. I wonder why that is?

Perhaps I'm not building the right pony hey?

I said it would be finished this weekend and there I made a blunder. Maybe by this NEW weeks end.

Bob F

Edited by Dragline

Not to worry my bud Zinn......

I have the wheels done and they are stock and spot on. I'll post em soon along with the rest of the car. Pain to paint though... I see your point.

I even made new tailpipe ends as the kit ones were blegghhhh....

Amazing what you can do with files and aluminum tube hey????

I'll bring it and other new werks to MAMA in 2 weeks. Be sure to be there bro.

New pix on this subject shortly.

Bob F