Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 SHARKMOUTH FORD SEDAN

abedooley

FIRST. THE INSPIRATION.

dsc_0392.jpg

Okay. Got some pics taken to show you guys my pain. I haven't gotten very far because there are so many variables. Every time I chang one thing I have to change the entire set up.

First is the frame. I am using the frame from the AMT Ford Phantom Vickie.

jgvjh2.jpg

Then I also have the '29 Ford P/up that I am WANTING to use the front and rear axle from, but the rear axle's stabilizer bars hit the frame. The front won't be a problem.

Stock axle.

IMG_0163.jpg

'29 axle

IMG_0162.jpg

Here is where I pull my hair out. I really like the look of the vintage rear axle, but it is 11/32" longer than the stock drive line. AND, the stabilizer bars are part of the drum brake covers which means I have to lose the brakes as well to fix this problem.

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

PART #2.

Along with the axle problem there is the wheel choices. Now I love the white walls that came in the P/UP kit, but they attatch via 1/16" metal rod and the stock drive train has the mushroom "POP" type, which if I can't get the vintage axle to work, then those get thrown out. I could make them work, but then I'd have to use disk brakes. UGH!

IMG_0166.jpg

jgvjh9.jpg

Then there are the wheels I REALLY wanna run. Same problem though.

jgvjh.jpg

jgvjh1.jpg

Then theres the middle, more modern wheel choice that WORKS with the stock axles. I like them, but I love the Cragar look-a-likes more.

jgvjh4.jpg

Then if I do run the vintage set-up I have to cut a HUGE part of the frame off to put the rear leaf-spring in place.

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

If it aint one thing its another with this project. I guess it all boils down to a decision or 2.

ANY TIPS OR ADVISE WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!! PLEASE....... "MUST HAVE INPUT."- Jonny #5 from Short Circuit

Abe, i think you can eliminate the majority of your problems by using the Revell '32 frame. the Revell '29 A axle is an easy one to adapt to that frame as well using the supplied 4-bar setup that goes with the '32 frame. the Nascar wheels should be pretty easy to adapt to the '32 rear axle and should be as well to the '29 axle.

there were some Revell Indy car kits that came with the "rain" tires that will be just the ticket for this build. they accept the old Monogram Nascar wheels very easily

Dave

Even if I used the revell frame I couldn't use the vintage axle. So I'm just gonna save that set-up for a later build that will be more of a traditional build. Everything else fits nicely into the AMT frame. The Nascar style rims will be easily adapted to the newer axle, and the front I-Beam axle will mate right up to the Nascar rims. You knnow how it is. You get an idea in your head and you just don't wanna stray away from it for nothing, but I'm getting sick of trying to make everything I want work. So, its on to plan B. Rear stock axle, I-Beam front axle, Nascar rims, and the tires that came in the kit.

Small update.

Heres the grille shell after removing material for the drop.

SHARKMOUTHSEDAN2.jpg

The radiator took a little thought. I wanted the straps to be on there after the chop so the fan could stay somewhat in its original position.

SHARKMOUTHSEDAN27.jpg

SHARKMOUTHSEDAN23.jpg

Here is the body on the frame. The wheel wells were cut down and reshaped to the AMT frame. It has a little bit of rake and I don't know if I'm gonna go with the rake or not. If I don't, all I have to do is rotate the wheel wells to level the frame out.

SHARKMOUTHSEDAN217.jpg

SHARKMOUTHSEDAN212.jpg

SHARKMOUTHSEDAN211.jpg

Starting to enjoy this build again.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm slooowly getting a few things done. I decided to run the kit rear axle and components. The front will have the I-Beam axle and steering compnents from the '29 pickup kit. Still uncertain about the front wheel set-up. Either steelies and white walls or the rims that match the rear with the treaded tires from the kit. I have the top chopped. Still need to clean the cut lines up a bit. I finally have the rear wheel set-up picked out. I have some mock-up pics to show. Still undecided on the ride height still. I have the rear where I want it and I also had to cut the frame horns off for the steering linkages to fit properly. I still need to tweek the steering components to be out front instead of behind the axle. Now, without further adue, heres a few pics of my little progress.

I like this height, but the front still needs to come down about 1/8" still. O f course these were taken before I cut the horns off.

MOCKUP35.jpg

MOCKUP36.jpg

MOCKUP33.jpg

This is a little radical, but I like this as well.

MOCKUP313.jpg

MOCKUP312.jpg

MOCKUP311.jpg

ANY AND ALL COMMENTS WELCOME AS USUAL.

OH!!! I am also using a "blank" grille from the '32 5 window and can't decide whether or not I want to put some "speed holes" in it or leave it blank. I have a spare grille in case I goof. If anyone has any tips on how to drill te holes without a drill press and without tearing the plastic that would be swell.

SHARKMOUTHSEDAN29.jpg

Abe, the best thing I can tell you is if you decide to add "Speed holes" to the insert is lay out a grid on the piece. Then at the intersection of the grid points use something to countersink a starting hole for the drill bit. Use either a pin vise or something that will turn slowly as you start each hole. When the drill bit comes through the backside it will most likely tear the plastic. So, do all your drilling from the "Show" side of the insert.

Abe, the best thing I can tell you is if you decide to add "Speed holes" to the insert is lay out a grid on the piece. Then at the intersection of the grid points use something to countersink a starting hole for the drill bit. Use either a pin vise or something that will turn slowly as you start each hole. When the drill bit comes through the backside it will most likely tear the plastic. So, do all your drilling from the "Show" side of the insert.

great tip!

i usually use the smallest bit in the arsenal to pilot drill all of the holes, this also helps with keeping the holes where you want them.(small bit wont "wander")

then step up a few drill sizes drill them again then drill to you final size.

just remember a .030 bit will cut a .032 hole. thats just the nature of drill bits they all make a bigger than they are hole. (hope that last part made sense. :rolleyes: )

or abe, you could send it here and i would/could do it, to help out.

there were some Revell Indy car kits that came with the "rain" tires that will be just the ticket for this build. they accept the old Monogram Nascar wheels very easily

Dave

Abe- not only is Dave 100% right about the 'technical' side of these Indy rain tires, but the tires themselves look absolutley bitchin' !!!! I've got two sets laid aside for some planned track-style rods.

You'd do well following Fletch's advice here, I've ripped quite a few visors and framerails to shreds drilling out speed holes! I've learned to try and avoid this when I can, now I've just got to figure out how to get the things lined up and evenly spaced :rolleyes: .

As far as the build, man, what took you? I've long wondered when you were gonna do a scale version of the car in your avatar! Looks like you beat me to it! Oh, well, I've got my very own military-themed rod done, one that you inspired. I'll post pics when I can.

I always do a grid and countersink, I'm just always worried about tearing a chunk, say, out of the side of the hole itself. When I decide whether or not this will be done I need to remember to make sure to drill through the front so the "ripping" will be on the back side. Thanks Fletch. Sometimes I don't think about that kinda thing until I've already started.

great tip!

i usually use the smallest bit in the arsenal to pilot drill all of the holes, this also helps with keeping the holes where you want them.(small bit wont "wander")

then step up a few drill sizes drill them again then drill to you final size.

just remember a .030 bit will cut a .032 hole. thats just the nature of drill bits they all make a bigger than they are hole. (hope that last part made sense. :rolleyes: )

or abe, you could send it here and i would/could do it, to help out.

Nice technical advice.

Every time I have predrilled the hole all the way through I end losing the "center" of the holes. I dunno, it could just be how I do things. I may be doing everything wrong when it comes to drilling holes.

Abe- not only is Dave 100% right about the 'technical' side of these Indy rain tires, but the tires themselves look absolutley bitchin' !!!! I've got two sets laid aside for some planned track-style rods.

You'd do well following Fletch's advice here, I've ripped quite a few visors and framerails to shreds drilling out speed holes! I've learned to try and avoid this when I can, now I've just got to figure out how to get the things lined up and evenly spaced :rolleyes: .

As far as the build, man, what took you? I've long wondered when you were gonna do a scale version of the car in your avatar! Looks like you beat me to it! Oh, well, I've got my very own military-themed rod done, one that you inspired. I'll post pics when I can.

Does anyone have a pic (or a spare set??) of these rain tires?? I have looked high and low. I can't do the big stuf until I have the actual tires I want or I'll get the wrong measurements and end up having to re-do some work I have done already. Tire choice has just been a pain in the you know what!!! The rims on the other hand, I have known what I wanted before I started this build.

As far as getting it started Chuck, I am a slow builder, but this one has really got me going. Some days I just stare at it and try tO picture it the exact way I want it and other days I don't think at all. I just get to cutting. Until I get the right wheel combo I can't do anything. AND ITS GETTING FRUSTRATING!!!! I have learned to make due and make it work. I still have so many things to order from RMCoM, as soon as I have the finances to do so.

Thanks for all the tips and help guys!!

OH!!! Chuck, I can't wait to see your Military version hot rod!!!! I can't explain why, but I have a deep love for function over fashion and thats what Military is all about! What can I say?? I'm just a redneck who spends too much time in the woods blowin things up. LMAO!! :) !

Does anyone have a pic (or a spare set??) of these rain tires?? I have looked high and low. I can't do the big stuf until I have the actual tires I want or I'll get the wrong measurements and end up having to re-do some work I have done already. Tire choice has just been a pain in the you know what!!! The rims on the other hand, I have known what I wanted before I started this build.

Thanks for all the tips and help guys!!

OH!!! Chuck, I can't wait to see your Military version hot rod!!!! I can't explain why, but I have a deep love for function over fashion and thats what Military is all about! What can I say?? I'm just a redneck who spends too much time in the woods blowin things up. LMAO!! :P !

I might be able to snap a few pics of the tires... if I can remember where I put the things!

Oh, and I should probably thank you for the inspiration to my military hot rod, oh- and to Dave Zinn, because the seats in it were made according to his how to in the January '09 MCM!

I will warn ya, though, my military does have some (questionable) fashion going on! :rolleyes::D:P

You need to post that build Chuck!!! The suspense is killin me!! B)B)

Exactly what kit are the rain tires in?? I'm gonna try to order some from Revell or post it in the wanted section.

Abe, Just an idea, you could build a "suicide perch" for the front spring and suspension. That is how the 30-31 car you are using for inspiration was done. I have also seen this car in person at autorama, its pretty darn cool! Look at my post of the 26 T sedan to get an idea of how I did it. I did it that way because it was the only way to get it low enough for my liking.....................

Keep up the good work!!!! Rudy

Abe, Just an idea, you could build a "suicide perch" for the front spring and suspension. That is how the 30-31 car you are using for inspiration was done. I have also seen this car in person at autorama, its pretty darn cool! Look at my post of the 26 T sedan to get an idea of how I did it. I did it that way because it was the only way to get it low enough for my liking.....................

Keep up the good work!!!! Rudy

I was leaning towards a suicide perch, even though I didn't know it was called that. :P:lol: It was either that or make new leaf springs for it, which I may do anyway.

Do you have any pics of it??? I have done all kinds of searches online for it and have only found about 7 pics. I really need one of the interior. I bet I logged about 20 hours of search time! :D:mellow: I'm kinda obesessive like that.

I have plenty of pics of someones rod that is badass and has a really nice suicide perch. I'll go check yours out and see how you did it as well and pick which way to go.

Very well, then!

Gentlemen, behold...

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckMost/22-olds-rat/

There, Abe! You can relax now!

CHUCK!!!!! THAT THING IS F#&$(@% BADA$$!!!!!!! I can not wait to finish mine now!!! You've given me some more ideas to go with now!!! I will be stealing the cockpit look you've went with for sure! I just need to find some 1/25 scale cockpit decals now. I love the kill badges too!!! You should have added a Japanese "ZERO" badge for sh!#s and giggles!! HAHAHA! Thanks for finally showing it off!! You've blown some much needed wind back in my sails!!

CHUCK!!!!! THAT THING IS F#&$(@% BADA$$!!!!!!! I can not wait to finish mine now!!! You've given me some more ideas to go with now!!! I will be stealing the cockpit look you've went with for sure! I just need to find some 1/25 scale cockpit decals now. I love the kill badges too!!! You should have added a Japanese "ZERO" badge for sh!#s and giggles!! HAHAHA! Thanks for finally showing it off!! You've blown some much needed wind back in my sails!!

Finally? Sheesh- I just finished it a couple of days ago! I was going to make it an "On the workbench" thread, but that sounded like too much work. :lol: That, and I had the thing finished long before I ever posted a photo of it.

Now, it's back to whatever stupid little project I had going on before! :D

Great project, Abe! One trick I use when drilling speed holes (or any holes through plastic or balsa wood or the like) is to utilize a piece of the same material directly underneath the piece being drilled. This will allow you to drill compleatly through the piece you want to look nice and the drill keeps going into the material under it. The drilled holes on the part you want on your model come out looking crisp and round. Try this out on some scrap material and see if it does the trick for you.

Joe