Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cummins KTA600

Hello Folks,

A couple of weeks ago I was looking through the STS web site and was amazed to see that they have a Griffin Cummins KTA 600 Diesel Engine in the aftermarket parts. I promptly contacted Sharon at STS and ordered 2 plus a couple of other items. I recieved all items within a working week, which I thought was brilliant. The detail in the resin parts is really very good and I am very pleased. There is no photo or assembly details with the kit so I carried out some research on the internet and found some good photographs. But these are all of KTA 600's fitted to generator sets. The kit also comes without Fuel injection pump, fan, power steering pump and has two pulleys. Having looked at the generator sets I wonder if the engine is modelled of a generator unit rather than an over the road truck.

I have the following questions and would really appreciate any help anyone can give.

1. Does anyone have any good photo's of the engine fitted to an over the road truck? (Or Video)

2. What year was it available from and to?

3. What weight was the engine?

4. In relation to question 2, did Peterbilt ever factory fit them to 359s (Little Window or Big or both)? or indeed any other model.

5. Again in relation to question 2 and 4 what colour where they? Would the truck require twin air intakes or would single be OK.

The missing parts I can manufacture from raw materials. This is a very unusual engine and bears no likeness to other Cummins Diesels I have seen and appears to be a rarity.

I will start to add photo's of the progress when I get around to starting it.

Best Wishes and Thanks for reading.

Dave Bates

PS This engine is a monster!!!

The KTA 600 was a great engine, the stuff of legend, raw power equivalent to that of a DD 12v71. They were installed in a numer of trucks including Pete's, KW's, Freightliner's, International's and Mack's. They also saw duty in construction equipment. They were so powerful, the only transmissions that would be warrented behind them were Eaton Fuller 8 and 13 speeds. The 600 could be installed into a 359, but it has to be an extended hood, to cram a big enough radiator in there. Other versions of the KT could also be had, the most common being a 450. A buddy of my dad's had a built KT in a 1980 Mack Superliner. It began life as a 450, but was fitted with a cam and turbo from a Mantiwoc crane, among other things. It put an estimated 950 HP to the road. It was replaced with a 425 Caterpillar a few years back after it spun a bearing, but it is a crated up and it may go back in the truck one day. Another buddy has two matching 1982 359's with KTs, and they still run to this day. One time an inexpereinced driver, who was not supposed to be in the truck, fried the wheel bearings on a trailer, locked the wheels up, and didn't even realize he'd done that. The trucks are that powerful. The engines were fitted in trucks up until the mid to late 1980's, I beleive. Nowadays they're fairly scarce, due to the high cost and low availabilty of parts. They're still very popular in truck pulling circles.

BTW, I have one of those resin KT's myself, and am itching for something to stuff it into.

Mike,

The photos are brilliant, just the sort of detail I need! Is the twin turbo charger a "factory fitted" item or is it a later custom installed unit?

Casey,

Thanks for the background information. I had an hour or so last night messing around with the engine getting some ideas together. This engine will be planned for a 359 Pete. 950HP Wow!! thats a lot of horses. The construction and Use Regulations here in the UK recommends 10HP per Tonne for engines (10Hp every 2200lbs). So a truck plated for 40 tonnes will typically have an engine 400HP plus. Most new semi trucks are 420 Hp up to 520 HP. Volvo have a new 660HP engine available. I suppose the ideas behind the big engines are less gear changes, Slower revving, less driver fatigue, better fuel economy. Fuel economy is a big thing here in the UK. Diesel is £ 0.89 to £ 0.98 per litre so you can see why fuel economy is important.

John,

I will start to post photo's soon.

Many Thanks guys,

Best Wishes

Dave Bates

Mike,

The photos are brilliant, just the sort of detail I need! Is the twin turbo charger a "factory fitted" item or is it a later custom installed unit?

Dave,

Far as I know the 600s had two turbos, the 450s a single, if I'm wrong someone please correct me.

Here's a pic of a friend's W900 with a highly warmed up 600 doing what it does best.

P6171745.jpg

Mike,

The Kenworth looks a great truck well looked after. You would never know what was under the hood!! "A Wolf in Sheeps clothing."

I,m thinking of building both engines together ready for future projects. Casey mentioned the transmission. Does anyone have details of the transmissions that were factory fitted with the engines into trucks? I can imagine that all drive line components will be of a robust nature and the frame will be substantial to handle the torque.

Great response folks.

Many Thanks

Dave Bates

Hello Folks,

I have made a start to the engines. No 1 engine is starting to take shape. No 2 engine has been washed in soapy water ready for starting.

I have taken some photo's. Casey was right an extended hood is a definate. On one of the photo's it shows a Griffin Extended 359 Hood. I think I will still need a shoe horn to get it in.

Both engines will be beige and will be weathered!

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/cummins-kta-600-die/

2CumminsKTA600Engines012.jpg

Best Wishes

Dave Bates

It usually takes a special truck, meaning extended hoods or raised cabs for a cabover. The 352H peterbilt was made for engines such as this one in mind. In fact, pretty much all the H series 352's I've seen had KTA Cummins engines. Works for me, 'cause I'm a die hard Cummins fan. But if you change your mind about the 359, extended hoods/tall cabs on cabovers are where that engine goes. If you think the kit is huge, you should see the real thing in person. Not sure what it weighs, but I know it's over 1,100 cubic inches. good luck building it. looking good so far.

KW,

My estimate for the engine weight is around 2 1/2 to 3 tons, which tells me that trucks fitted with this engine probably have heavy duty front suspensions and axle fitted. Maybe wide steer tyres?

Mike,

The hood on that Dodge is huge probably enough space for 2 KTA's.

Many Thanks Best Wishes

Dave Bates.

Hello Folks,

I have made some progress with the 2 Cummins KTA 600 Diesels. these are starting to take shape. There is still a lot of work to do but I,m getting there. If anyone can help there are a few items of detail I,m struggling with?

1/ The cooling fan and drive belting arrangement. How is it configured?

2/ The starter Motor is it fitted on the left or right hand side?

3/ The engine oil filters are these fitted to the right or left?

4/ Where is the oil dip stick located?

The engine looks as if it could be configured for many differant combinations. I suppose that it would depend if it is going to be used for a truck or generator or may be heavy earth moving plant.

2CumminsKTA600Engines017.jpg

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/cummins-kta-600-die/

Thanks for looking.

Best Wishes

Dave Bates

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...