Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mongoose Duster AA/FC

Dragline

I've been on a roll building. My current "laid off" status has allowed me some 1 on 1 time with styrene and i have been busy. I normally build 2-3 cars a year, but right now I am on pace to build a dozen easy. I see steady work on the horizon so I am taking this time to build a few items that have languished on the shelf far too long.

This here is the Mongoose Plymouth Duster AA/FC from the reissue Snake/Mongoose double kit of some years ago. I had built the Snake when I first got it all that time ago and it's currently in my fathers private collection, but this one was in the back of the closet in that BIG box. Since I had some Italin Red left over from a previous build I thought what the hey????

Nothing fancy here as far as detail goes, just a colorful build that might not be totally accurate but has "eyeball" appeal. Frame is Tamiya French blue and I swapped out the kits [wrong], non handed wrinkle wall Mickey Thompson slicks for a set of current AA/FC Goodyears. I had some So Real tire decals so I slapped them on there instead of painting the letters. Then I promptly handled them and pulled them partly off the wheels before I could dull coat them [Doh, Bob!!!]. Some plug wires for a little visual spark and that's about it.

Clear coat is drying and with some careful painting should look great after a buff N polish with my Novis kit. Too bad about the Coca Cola decals being missing from this kit. Their omission leaves a bare patch on the rear quarters but maybe down the road I can pick them up and slap em on over the clear coat. All that's really left is the fuel and oil tanks which are currently drying after a dip in the dechroming tank and LOTS of sanding and filling.

Up next... MPC reissue Blue Max Mustang AA/FC

Bob F

2a4z6kl.jpg

afg61k.jpg

ncbkes.jpg

Edited by Dragline

That looks great! They re-issued that kit as the Cop Out didn't they? Does anybody make the "Snake"/"Mongoose" decals for that kit?

I believe the only way to get them is buying the double kit. I think there was someone making the "Coca Cola" decals that were missing though.

The kits are not expensive on eBay. I know you have the Cop Out though.

Bob F

COOL, COOL, COOL, COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My favorite funny cars! I think I must have fifteen kits of them including the originals!

I also have all the Hotwheels Legends sets as well as the 1/24 Lengeds to Life Snake. I sure wish they would have made the Mongoose to go with it!

I'm currently gathering parts to build accurate Dodge crew cab transporters to display a Snake and Mongoose funny car on.

I'm not sure about the Snake II but Slixx makes the Mongoose II decals to build a model of the blue Duster.

Please post more pics when finished! Really nice work!

Where did you get those rear slicks from? They look really good on there! Are they hard resin, soft resin or vinyl?

Thanks Ben. Those slicks are from any Revell Top Fuel or Funny Car kit from the late 80's till today.

Ample sanding with 80 grit makes em look like that. I will be able to polish this out during the weekend.

I'm a big Snake/Mongoose fan so these were a no brainer. I think they may be the most popular cars in the history of drag racing.

I built these dragsters last year with so so aftermarket decals. They are in my Dad's collection now.

126d4pu.jpg

2a0l53q.jpg

Bob F

Edited by Dragline

Awesome!!!!!!! I have the original front engine rails. I want to get a few of the reissues to build so I can leave the originals sealed. I also have the Monogram rear engine rails that come with the Christmas tree and guy at the starting line. Those are NICE kits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can check out my collection at www.picturetrail.com/lotso

The pics were taken several years ago and my collection has probably doubled since then. I just need to update all the pics.

You are a sick man Ben, and need help!

My God, that's a lot of models! Should you live to be 150 you could not build them all.

I have a Mongoose rear engine kit like you have there but the Snake eludes me. I bid on them and get sniped all the time.

Your truck collection is to be admired. I have never seen so many truck models all in one place.

Impressive.

Bob F

Well, you collect and build them...

Thanks TxRat.... You are one whose opion matters a great deal to me. I treasure all opinion, but like me, you're a drag guy at your core.

Get help Ben..... LOLOLOL

Bob F

Little update pic here: Got the front grill done. rear is also done.

qssa9t.jpg

Edited by Dragline

• 2 weeks later...
Well, you collect and build them...

Thanks TxRat.... You are one whose opion matters a great deal to me. I treasure all opinion, but like me, you're a drag guy at your core.

Get help Ben..... LOLOLOL

Bob F

Little update pic here: Got the front grill done. rear is also done.

qssa9t.jpg

Very nice! Slixx has decal sheets for some of McEwen's cars, and the Coca-Cola decal is on those ... it took me a while to realize the same thing after I got the Revell twin set that the C-C decals were missing (plus I think the Monogram originals had tinted windows, if I remember right).