Model Cars Magazine Forum

DRAG IMPORTS BUILD OFF

20PSI

try using the slicks from the oldsmobile pro stock from revell.

if you don't have them...send me a private massage and I'll get them to you.

you need to drop that car more....to high still.

cool mazda so far.

DSC02018.jpg

thoughts/suggestions?

only problem i have with these is they don't fill up those huge tubs. it may look a little awkward. also, the stock undercarriage won't fit these rear tires without modification. maybe i will just figure out how to fill the bigger tubs more effectively.

I think that would be a great idea, this kit has los of parts you could use

the tube chassie could be modified to work with your mazda boby

also, this kit has been re issued so its everywhere and for $15 you

could get one. the kit brings an extra set of radial pro street tires

exelent for other projects. with the extra olds boby, sell to a slot car guy

If you are only goin to buy it for the wheels, let me know

I buy the rest from you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ok i got the oldsmobile model and the slicks appear to be a good size for the stance i want. i just need to fabricate a rear tube chassis to get it to look right.

as far as the motor is concerned, i have been detailing it pretty decently in my opinion. i made a generic fuel rail with injectors and wiring harness, and also got some aluminum pulleys. they pulleys have been straightened out after the pics were took.

i also removed the rear hatch of the car so i can remove it for display purposes.

DSC02164.jpg

DSC02165.jpg

DSC02166.jpg

DSC02167.jpg

more progress on the motor. it's like i'm a motor or something.. hehe

DSC02173.jpg

DSC02174.jpg

DSC02176.jpg

done:

plug wires

alternator wire

fuel rail with injectors and harnesses

dipstick

oil cap

pulleys and belts

up next - getting liquid masking tape for the harness coming off the back of the engine to wherever it goes

well i wasn't happy with the way the engine was turning out. after studying a rotary build up on the real car, i did a tear down and re-do.

i fixed the location of the fuel rail, as the injectors actually inject fuel into the side of the plenum facing the passenger fender. I did get braided lines and AN fittings and made fuel lines, swapped out the ignition wires to yellow with spark plug boots, and twisted yellow and dark blue detail wiring, and glued them to the injectors. I also made the dipstick handle, coil packs, and installed an aluminum oil cap, and ran a wire for the alternator.

i figured out how i'm going to do the chassis, and found better slicks than the oldsmobile kit. I will wait until i make progress with the chassis and start posting pics when i make some headway.

alright, so here's my plan, and so far the building has been pretty good.

the kit came with both left and right side drive, and as you know, comes with the motor. The kit says it's a highly detailed engine, but apparently not highly detailed enough for me.

i started by looking for tires/wheels that would look right and make the stance look mean, and eventually came across a gentleman who happened to have the perfect sized tire for the job. I will be using the pegasus rims that come with the slicks. Once i found the tire, i wanted to go with a tube chassis. where would i get such a thing? well, in the process of looking for the right kit for the slicks, i came across a kit with the wrong slicks, but the chassis WILL work! it still needs to be trimmed to fit the way i'd like it, but it works. also, i did a BMF job on the tube to the throttle body, to help it look unique i suppose.

so, kit bashing and donor model:

DSC02188.jpg

the engine on the model is so tiny, it's almost too hard to detail, but i managed ok. spark plug boots and wires, coil packs, dipstick, oil cap, fuel rail, fittings and lines, injectors and corresponding wires (the yellow/dark blue wires twisted), alternator wire, metal pulleys and real belts, and block painted properly. i also made a manifold out of evergreen, although it's not 100% complete. I plan on scratch building a turbo like on the tutorial.

DSC02190.jpg

DSC02193.jpg

DSC02194.jpg

DSC02195.jpg

Here's the tube chassis, and a mock-up of the stance.

DSC02196.jpg

DSC02197.jpg

Future plans:

seat will be mounted in the center like a true dragster

nitrous bottles/lines

both dashes cut in half and molded together to get rid of the regular clusters, and make custom gauge cluster

exhaust exit at side vent

gloss black paint

i'm sure there's more that will be done to it, so we'll see how she goes.

ok i attempted to follow the turbo tutorial and came out with something that works fine for my first attempt at making a turbo. I will file out some of the edges to make it more defined, and also i will need to find out where the oil lines go on this motor, as far as the oil feed to the turbo and the oil drain which should be easy.

anybody know where the oil feed is for this motor for the turbo?

here's some progress pics:

DSC02200.jpg

DSC02201.jpg

DSC02202.jpg

here's the engine mounted on the tube chassis. the exhaust is going to go off at a 45 degree angle towards the side of the car and exit at the side vent (turbo side) near the fender. it will be made of metal tubing and i'll make the exhaust tip the same shape as the vent, and possibly do some weathering.

DSC02203.jpg

i should have a basic interior started by wednesday, and getting everything to fit right. once i have that figured out, i'll work on painting the body.

need some help though:

are there any detailed pictures of a nitrous setup? I'm talking everything from the trunk to where it feeds into the intake.

any help would be appreciated.

also, thanks for looking!

Hey i decided to post more on my topic. Even if I was not replying, I was looking at the only project :P

So yeah, im not dead yet and yes i worked on my eclipse. But i desperately need slicks!

Here is some pictures.

By the way, if you guys don't participate in this build off because you don't have time,I can extend it for 3 or 4 months.

Here's some pictures of my eclipse ¸

post-4776-12639421405167_thumb.jpgpost-4776-12639421865353_thumb.jpg

Ihave a lot more to show, but later.post-4776-12639421405167_thumb.jpg

Hey i decided to post more on my topic. Even if I was not replying, I was looking at the only project ;)

So yeah, im not dead yet and yes i worked on my eclipse. But i desperately need slicks!

Here is some pictures.

By the way, if you guys don't participate in this build off because you don't have time,I can extend it for 3 or 4 months.

Here's some pictures of my eclipse ¸

post-4776-12639421405167_thumb.jpgpost-4776-12639421865353_thumb.jpg

Ihave a lot more to show, but later.post-4776-12639421405167_thumb.jpg

A extention would be cool lol