Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

peterbuilt grill queston

Buba,

Check Tim's Web site:

http://timstrucks.web.aplus.net/tim.htm

I personally don't like the later square head lights but much prefer either the single round headlights or the twin round headlights. They have a more traditional and classic look to me and help to give the vehicle its individual character. Small details like this are one of the attractions for me. As for the year you will probably find that the headlights were changed to coincide with changes in regulations. The square ones were probably more complient with the latest legislation at the time. At a guess early 1980's.

Best Regards

Dave

Peterbilt used a chromed wire mesh for the grilles until 1972. Then the punched aluminum screen was used.

Around 2003 the stainless punched oval hole grille was developed for the 379X. This grille screen became an option across the board eventually replacing the squared punched screen. The 320 COE still uses the punched squared screen.

The headlamps:

Standard: single rounds from the beginning until 1986. Quad rounds became available in the 1960s as an option.

The quad rounds remained optional until 1986.

The quad rectangular headlamp debuted on "Big Mamoo," the truck seen in the Peterbilt brochure "Rest In Class." The 359 sported the 127" BBC long hood, the first "Dash of Class" (aka: Corvette Dash), and the first 63" walk through sleeper. This was in late 1977.

The first published option of the rectangular headlamps was in 1979/80.

The Successors/379 family debuted in late '86 with their own quad rectangular lamps with the turn signal molded on, along with their own large rectangular single lamps. The only round lamps available were for the 6x6 357/378 that had the FEPTO bumper option. Those lamps were available until '07, being replaced with recessed into the bumper quad rectangular lamps.

The AMT Peterbilt 359 current reissue dates to 1975/76. The kit represents a 1975 359.

The Revell/Monogram 359 is no older than 1981/82.

The Revell of Germany 359 is no older than an '82.

Tim

Les,

I don't have the proper hat or boots.

Big Mamoo -

bigmamoo.jpg

restwithclassbigmamoobrochure.jpg

mamoorightdoor.jpg

Note: Big Mamoo (engineering dep't nickname) was the 1st with a 63" sleeper and the only one with a

suicide right hand door.

When Mamoo was sold to Denver Peterbilt, the rectangular headlamps were removed and quad rounds

were installed.

bigmamooright2_billmc.jpg

Tim

Tim,

Do you have a pic of Big Mamoo? I don't think I have ever seen it.

BTW, since you have been to Texas, I guess you can officially be called "dude" :P

Les

Tim,

Just a couple of observations regarding "Big Mamoo" in the last photo. The first is it looks superb! There is only one cover on one of the air horns and the wind shield wipers look odd to?? Also the air cleaners, I don't think I have seen any in that style before?? The two trucks either side of Big Mamoo are of interest. Did Peterbilt do anything with the 352 at that time to coincide with the introduction of Big Mamoo. From the photo it looks like they had the 352 painted as a matched pair Is the 352 an H model it looks quite tall? The little window yellow 359 on the left looks in immaculate condition. Was this the Dealers truck or a very carefull customer's.

Best Regards

Dave

Looks very similar to my current ride (2002 379) - back window and all.

IMG_0224.jpg

Course, mine has a little more chrome...

I didn't think I'd like a flat top, but I really do. For one driver, it has all the room I will ever need. Plus it looks cool as hell. Only downfall is the mileage. I was getting 6.5mpg in my 387, now only getting 4.5mpg. Might also have something to do with a 550hp Caterpillar ungoverned motor...

Dave

Mamoo didn't have an official companion, but that 352H beside it shares the colors and similar paint scheme.

352Hleft.denver.jpg

352Hdenver.jpg

Mamoo's missing snow cap on the horn must have occurred in transit to the dealer. The air cleaners are just chromed small tanks with big caps on them. The same caps in the Revell/Monogram 359. The windshield wipers are simply parked "wrong." You could park the air operated wipers anywhere you wanted. Typically Peterbilt will find a customer before creating a custom truck. The customer or dealer might have been the one to wanted the big sleeper, so they designed it.

Early production of the 63" roof had a molded in Peterbilt logo at the center of the sides of the roof. This only lasted for a short time as the mold created problems for the fiberglass and required extra time to clean up and smooth the logo. This feature was removed from the mold.

Tim

Tim,

Just a couple of observations regarding "Big Mamoo" in the last photo. The first is it looks superb! There is only one cover on one of the air horns and the wind shield wipers look odd to?? Also the air cleaners, I don't think I have seen any in that style before?? The two trucks either side of Big Mamoo are of interest. Did Peterbilt do anything with the 352 at that time to coincide with the introduction of Big Mamoo. From the photo it looks like they had the 352 painted as a matched pair Is the 352 an H model it looks quite tall? The little window yellow 359 on the left looks in immaculate condition. Was this the Dealers truck or a very carefull customer's.

Best Regards

Dave

Dave

Mamoo didn't have an official companion, but that 352H beside it shares the colors and similar paint scheme.

352Hleft.denver.jpg

352Hdenver.jpg

Mamoo's missing snow cap on the horn must have occurred in transit to the dealer. The air cleaners are just chromed small tanks with big caps on them. The same caps in the Revell/Monogram 359. The windshield wipers are simply parked "wrong." You could park the air operated wipers anywhere you wanted. Typically Peterbilt will find a customer before creating a custom truck. The customer or dealer might have been the one to wanted the big sleeper, so they designed it.

Early production of the 63" roof had a molded in Peterbilt logo at the center of the sides of the roof. This only lasted for a short time as the mold created problems for the fiberglass and required extra time to clean up and smooth the logo. This feature was removed from the mold.

Tim

chris thats a sweet looking truck

tim you rock i am glad that we have you onbord as our pete expert now i got to do recerch for my ford l 9000 whats the odds we have a expert inhouse???

Tim,

Many Thanks for the reply. That 352H looks superb and with Big Mamoo will become a definate build for the future. I just need to check on the Winslow stripes?

Hey Murphey's Law that is a superb looking Pete! Do you recon the difference in MPG is due to the Streamlining or your heavy right foot? :unsure:

Best Regards

Dave