Model Cars Magazine Forum

Adding hardener to pledge

Hi,

Iwas talking to a guy that does dioramas and the topic of Pledge came up. He said that he adds four drops of Bondo liquid hardener to a tablespoon of Pledge. He said it makes it dry quicker and harder. Has anyone ever tried this? Anybody have an opinion about this?

Later,

Charlie Bower

Hi,

Iwas talking to a guy that does dioramas and the topic of Pledge came up. He said that he adds four drops of Bondo liquid hardener to a tablespoon of Pledge. He said it makes it dry quicker and harder. Has anyone ever tried this? Anybody have an opinion about this?

Later,

Charlie Bower

:lol: Is he using the polyester hardener, or a liquid hardener for paint products? I don't see how the hardener for polyester resins (fiberglass) would help, but stranger things have been seen, but the liquid hardener/gloss additive you can get for enamel based paints might help as it is basically just a high gloss clear resin. I have found this stuff helps greatly in Testors paints & can be found at farm supply stores as an additive for equipment paints. Edited by horsepower

I do not know about the hardner trick. For clear coating? The idea as far as I know is to allow the pledge with future to flow out smoothly, kinda like with nail polish. Actually, a tiny drop of dish detergant helps it break its surface tension so it will smooth out faster. For using a hardner, I have heard the train guys do something like this for lakes and ponds and streams. So I am not sure? Jody

Future gets plenty hard by itself. I add a tiny bit of Simple Green, it makes it glossier. Future is a acrylic floor product, not a paint, si I dont think I would add paint products to it. Just my opinion.