Model Cars Magazine Forum

scale brush gaurd

Hello.

Im am making a hauler for a project i havent posted here before, the hauler is a 97' ford expedition, im already building a frame for it(the stock chassis plate sits to low for my taste) and i would like to add a tow hitch and a brush gaurd to it.

The tow hitch is the easy part, i just have no clue where to start on the brush gaurd.

I want to end up with something like this.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv.../300grillbk.jpg

Thanks,Jeff.

Edited by ThatOneEmoKid

Hello.

Im am making a hauler for a project i havent posted here before, the hauler is a 97' ford expedition, im already building a frame for it(the stock chassis plate sits to low for my taste) and i would like to add a tow hitch and a brush gaurd to it.

The tow hitch is the easy part, i just have no clue where to start on the brush gaurd.

I want to end up with something like this.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv.../300grillbk.jpg

Thanks,Jeff.

Looks pretty straight forward. You'll need to buy some Plastruct .010 or .020 round stock for the headlight guards, maybe .080 or .100 round stock for the basic frame, and .020 or .030 sheet for the 2 brackets that the round stock is attatched to.

Heat and bend the round stock to whatever shape you see in your head. Cut, file, and shape the sheet to the shape of the front of the truck from the bottom to however high up you wanna go using a profile gauge. The hardest part will be translating a picture into 3D. BUT, IT CAN BE DONE!!! All you have to do is start! From there on it gets easier. Heres a pic of the front tube bumper of my Scout project. Lots of bending, cutting, and shaping. I used .080 round stock and diamond plate sheet for the top plate.

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

Here's the link to my WIP pics.

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/abe...COUT/?start=all

GOOD LUCK!

That is true., but you have worry about kinks if you're using tubing and that much weight out front like that could be a problem if not secured properly. I bet I built that front bumper 4 or 5 times before I was happy with the end result. LOL!! I started out with brass tubing, but was worried about the weight with it sticking out the front like that. You might not encounter that problem since yours will practically be an extension of the front bumper its self. GOOD LUCK!!! If ya have any qustions about how I built mine just ask! ANYTIME.

Looks pretty straight forward. You'll need to buy some Plastruct .010 or .020 round stock for the headlight guards, maybe .080 or .100 round stock for the basic frame, and .020 or .030 sheet for the 2 brackets that the round stock is attatched to.

Heat and bend the round stock to whatever shape you see in your head. Cut, file, and shape the sheet to the shape of the front of the truck from the bottom to however high up you wanna go using a profile gauge. The hardest part will be translating a picture into 3D. BUT, IT CAN BE DONE!!! All you have to do is start! From there on it gets easier. Heres a pic of the front tube bumper of my Scout project. Lots of bending, cutting, and shaping. I used .080 round stock and diamond plate sheet for the top plate.

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

Here's the link to my WIP pics.

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/abe...COUT/?start=all

GOOD LUCK!

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!! i got a scout as well man u got the same idea going as iam going to do with mine lol iam just removing the side molding and trying to figure everything out if u want can u add me to msn if you go it (ej69ice@hotmail.com) would love to chat with you on this build like engine wise tire and rims etc thanks man iam looking at your bucket pics and wow!!

you have worry about kinks if you're using tubing

If you re-read my post, you'll see that I suggested brass or aluminum rod rather than tubing. <_< The aluminum armature wire I use for exhaust is surprisingly light, but there is indeed more weight than styrene. I was just offering EmoKid another option, that's all.

I don't have MSN Chat, but you can send me an e-mail any time ya want............ abedooley223@yahoo.com

I'm running the 440 Magnum from the new '68 Charger kit with 42" or 44" Super swampers all tied together by a 4-link front and rear as soon as I can order the Heim joints from RB Motion.

If you re-read my post, you'll see that I suggested brass or aluminum rod rather than tubing. <_< The aluminum armature wire I use for exhaust is surprisingly light, but there is indeed more weight than styrene. I was just offering EmoKid another option, that's all.

Haha! DEE-DA-DEE!! I have a bad habit of getting ahead of myself sometimes. Rod makes much more since. The only armature wire that I've been able to find has bee 1/8" or larger. So that would definately be TOO big. I don't know what other sizes are available, but 1/16" would definately work.

I don't have MSN Chat, but you can send me an e-mail any time ya want............ abedooley223@yahoo.com

I'm running the 440 Magnum from the new '68 Charger kit with 42" or 44" Super swampers all tied together by a 4-link front and rear as soon as I can order the Heim joints from RB Motion.

sweet set up any warnings on cutting the body lol and were did you get those tires and rims ? lol and is there a link to RB motion ?

alright got the brass rod, any ideas as to what i can put it together wiht? like glue for styrene.

I have no soldering skills so thats out of the question.

On my '56 Beetle roof rack I used 5-minute epoxy, applied sparingly with a small disposable brush:

DSCN3076_edited-vi.jpg

The wax paper is under it to handle any errant drips; epoxy doesn't stick to it, and peels right off after it sets up. :rolleyes:

sweet set up any warnings on cutting the body lol and were did you get those tires and rims ? lol and is there a link to RB motion ?

Actually, cutting the body was really straight forward. I also rounded out the forward part of the rear wheel wells for clearance. As far as cutting the front and rear, I'll have to take a close-up pic when I get back in about an hour or so.