Model Cars Magazine Forum

I used the "purple pond" for the first time!

I finally broke and went and bought a jug of prurple power, got home threw a body in and let it sit over night, i was amazed when all i had to do was run it under some water and the paint just fell off!

I took a small video of it removing some of the body filler( i was really disapointed it didnt take the filler off) in little speckles. and ill post a picture or two for all the "noobies" ,as they like to call themselves, so they can see what we use(when i first heard about it i had no clue what ya'll were talking about :P )

Just thought id share my moment of amazment with yall.lol

Jeff.

I finally broke and went and bought a jug of prurple power, got home threw a body in and let it sit over night, i was amazed when all i had to do was run it under some water and the paint just fell off!

I took a small video of it removing some of the body filler( i was really disapointed it didnt take the filler off) in little speckles. and ill post a picture or two for all the "noobies" ,as they like to call themselves, so they can see what we use(when i first heard about it i had no clue what ya'll were talking about :P )

Just thought id share my moment of amazment with yall.lol

Jeff.

You must be from SOUTH Texas Ya'allllll

After using Oven-Off back in the day and a couple of times recently the purple pond is a revelation! I was at Wally World a few months back and found myself infront of the automotive section and I said what the heck, and grabbed a bottle of the purple power: WOW, this stuff really IS great. You gotta be safe, use gloves and a mask but it works magic. The only thing that I've found it to not work as well on is metallic paints, aluminum and steel otherwise anything else it's fantastic!

I used to put parts in a container, pour in the purple power, and let it do it's thing. Most recently I added an additional step to the process - I put the container into a zip lock bag and seal the edge. The purple power seems to do a better job and quicker when it's sealed up.

Ok maybe I'm behind the times.I hear a lot of guys say the "purple pond" but I don't know what that is....

What exactly is this ? Sorry for the dopey question but if I screw up a paint job I always sanded it and painted over.

Exactly what david said, i found it over by the automotive stuff, like where the body filler and stuff is.

It really works wonders.

After using Oven-Off back in the day and a couple of times recently the purple pond is a revelation! I was at Wally World a few months back and found myself infront of the automotive section and I said what the heck, and grabbed a bottle of the purple power: WOW, this stuff really IS great. You gotta be safe, use gloves and a mask but it works magic. The only thing that I've found it to not work as well on is metallic paints, aluminum and steel otherwise anything else it's fantastic!

what will get off metallic paints?

Iv'e got a body with a bad metallic pint job on it taht desperatley needs to be saved.

Thanks,Jeff.

Guest promodmerc

Just a word of caution. Never put aluminum parts in Castrol. It will eat the aluminum. It didn't happen to me but it did happen to a member of a model club I belonged to.

csc will also eat up any body putty on the body. but it sure will strip paint! not so much on tamiya but model master and its gone!

dont know about needing a mask though, doesnt seem too fume-y to me. but gloves are a must. that stuff will dry out your skin like crazy.

I used to put parts in a container, pour in the purple power, and let it do it's thing. Most recently I added an additional step to the process - I put the container into a zip lock bag and seal the edge. The purple power seems to do a better job and quicker when it's sealed up.

I use an upside-down AMT showcase as my stripper vat; the base becomes the lid, and it seals pretty well. When the stripper is cloudy, I use a small flashlight to find small parts on the bottom.