Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford CT9000 Dump

Here is a Ford C series dump that I built a couple of years ago. I started with the Ford C-series Ryder van and Ford Louisville snow plow kits. I temporarily assembled the frame from the van kit using Elmer's glue. Then I assembled the dump bed from the snow plow kit. I mounted the Ford C cab, and positioned the dump body on the frame so I would know how much to cut off the frame ends. Once this was done, I cut the frame off and placed it in a tub of warm water to dissolve the Elmer's glue. Because this is going to be a heavy duty 9000 series truck, the frame rails had to be deepened ( widened) by roughly .080 of an inch to allow the cab to sit higher and clear the Cat diesel that was going in. I sliced each frame its entire length just below the top flange and added .080 X .060 Evergreen strip. The flange was glued back on and everything sanded smooth. Except for the front two, I used the frame cross members from the snow plow. I sanded off the original bolt heads from the frame rails and replaced them with Plastruct hex shaped rod sliced to the appropriate thickness. The entire drive line from the snow plow kit was used. I had to slightly modify the exhaust manifolds to tuck in closer to the block and clear the frame rails. I also used the exhaust pipes and mufflers from the snow plow and trimmed them to exit under behind the cab, under the dump body. The six spoke from wheels and spoked rear wheels came from the parts bin. The colors are orange for the cab, and aircraft gray for the dump bed.

01lftfrt.jpg

02lft.jpg

03rtfrt.jpg

05rtrr.jpg

06engrt.jpg

08lft.jpg