Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopping a top ???

vizio93

I recently bought the Lindberg 34' ford pick up kit and I want to chop it. I have never chopped a top before, and i'm a little nervous about it. I bet I can do it if someone can provide a really good detailed explanation, with tons of pictures. I have this old thread bookmarked, but I still need a little more:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.p...mp;#entry100252

Any help at all is appreciated !!!

Buy a role of 1/8" line tape at an auto parts store, run a line of it around the middle of all four roof pillars. Cut along the top edge with a hobby saw, then along the bottom edge. Glue top to bottom, grease pan, bake @ 350 degrees for 2 hou...

No, don't grease pan or bake. But the rest works.

Edited by Spyder

Buy a role of 1/8" line tape at an auto parts store, run a line of it around the middle of all four roof pillars. Cut along the top edge with a hobby saw, then along the bottom edge. Glue top to bottom, grease pan, bake @ 350 degrees for 2 hou...

No, don't grease pan or bake. But the rest works.

Oooppps I'm not supposed to put it in the oven ????? :lol::o

Its all Kens fault..............This is what got me going!! And if Raul hadn't stirred up the crowd............

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.p...amp;#entry66475

the top of page 2

Thanks Mike !!! After I cut it do I need to sand the top piece I cut off or the bottom piece of the cab? Or is the blade's width enough to give it a good chop?

Oooppps I'm not supposed to put it in the oven ????? ;);)

Thanks Mike !!! After I cut it do I need to sand the top piece I cut off or the bottom piece of the cab? Or is the blade's width enough to give it a good chop?

I would block it so it is square...read kennys buildup starting at the top of page 2...and Raul helps Kenny do it in detail!!!! :blink::blink:

Billy, you've picked the EASIEST roof to chop! Just do like the guys said(only I bake mine at 400 to make SURE it's done!)

You'll be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is, AND at WHAT a difference a "little off the top" can make! :lol::lol:

Thanks George, Now all I need to know is how to get that "golden brown" look when I take it out of the oven ;):lol:

Naw, but after I cut the top off what do I do? Do I sand it down on a sanding block or cut underneath the tape on the bottom half of the cab so as to kind of take out a chunk of the pillars?

Thanks George, Now all I need to know is how to get that "golden brown" look when I take it out of the oven :o:P

Naw, but after I cut the top off what do I do? Do I sand it down on a sanding block or cut underneath the tape on the bottom half of the cab so as to kind of take out a chunk of the pillars?

BILLY!!!!! You gotta cut the pillars...really!!!! Read kennys build up from the link....Raul takes kenny thru it...from measuring to cutting and

as George said..it is the easiest top to chop!!!

BILLY!!!!! You gotta cut the pillars...really!!!! Read kennys build up from the link....Raul takes kenny thru it...from measuring to cutting and

as George said..it is the easiest top to chop!!!

Ohhhhhhhhhhh thanks !!! Sorry, guess I was just thinking too much into it and I forgot what I was doing :lol::angry:. Thanks. I picked this one to chop partly because I saw yours, and party because I knew it would be easier than a 49 merc or a Willys to do. :lol: . Now I just need to go buy a new razor saw !!! :D

The "A" pillar was totally rebuilt!

That´s a '34 Ford from AMT I'm building (I mean... I trying to :lol: )

See this is why I chose to get the 34' ford pickup, cause then I wont have to rebuild anything :mellow: . It's just a straight drop down. Thanks for the pic's man. I can really see how much a chop looks better in the comparison pictures. Thanks :)