Model Cars Magazine Forum

Air Compressor Question

You should be able to utilize most air compressors out their. As long as it has a pressure regulator and a moisture bowl/trap.

Since I do all my stuff in the house I bought a silentaire compressor. It is tank-less and runs only when needed. It has auto shutoff and makes nary any noise. I've also heard of guys just filling air tanks and bringing them in the house. Same rules apply, pressure regulator with moisture trap.

By the way, that's a nice MIL you have.

Chris

Bobby, I started out with a tank less system as well in the beginning. Of course my airbrushing was more for illustration than painting models. Anyway, I graduated to a 22-gallon 220volt compressor and I was hooked in a big way! The reason is that I can pump up the tank and paint for a long time... days even, without having to fire up the noisy compressor again. I can listen to music and paint to my hearts content for a long time before having to fill the tank.

I am on my second system. The compressor and tank this time is in the garage while I have the air piped into my studio via a 1/2-inch hard line. It's a good system, but one you have to be ready to pay at least a hundred bucks for a nice Craftsman compressor. Unless you watch the sales flyers that is....

:-)

Because I paint late at night I use a portable air tank (7 gallons / Pep Boys) with a regulator. I fill it with my big noisy compressor during the day to 100 psi. Regulated at 20 psi, it usually lasts more than 1 night. It can even be filled at a gas station since I left the tire valve system. I can take pictures of the modifications I did to the tank (regulator,hose connector etc). Let me know if those would help.

Thanks,

Craftsman 25 gallon, with a regulator set up for [2] lines , thats why you see the two gauges ...but it sounds like a Panzer attack when its running... .since bought a 2 gallon for 50 bucks , it works nice and its more compact , run only 1 line with a plastic water trap filter...

Im000068-vi.jpg

Almost all the major hardware chains now carry the small compressors with a small tank on the bottom . Home depot, Lowes ,Sears,True value , Ace , even Walmart has them .

I have a Campbell Hausfeld that cost less than 90 bucks new . Just purchase a moisture trap and a fitting that will match your airbrush and your off . These compressors are great because you can fill the tank and have enough air for two to three models before you have to fire it up again . Silence is golden ( especially late at night when the tykes are sleeping ...and the old lady for that matter )

A big plus from buying from a major supplier is if anything goes wrong with it you can return it . I had a problem with mine after 10 months and walmart replaced it with a new one , no problem . Five years and half a million models later it still works like a champ . (Oh boy I hope I didn't curse it!!!!)

Take care and see you around the clubhouse ,

Steve D.

Craftsman 25 gallon, with a regulator set up for [2] lines , thats why you see the two gauges ...but it sounds like a Panzer attack when its running... .since bought a 2 gallon for 50 bucks , it works nice and its more compact , run only 1 line with a plastic water trap filter...

Mine is an older unit that has a seperate motor and belt driven pump, not nearly as loud as the newer oil-less type pumps. As said above, wahtever type of compressor you get, be sure to get a regulator and a moisture trap.

Bobby,

There are others who have build a compressor for airbrushing using an old refrigerator compressor. I don't know what is needed personally but I do know that there are other modelers who use this method. The cost is very low except that there will not be a tank... unless I am very wrong.

Hopefully someone out there can help and post a link... anybody?

:?