Model Cars Magazine Forum

Italeri dumper trailer

Hey I was looking at the Italeri webpage and found a" Dumper trailer kit # 3845" listed . Has anyone built this trailer yet ? I am wondering if anyone has tried to americanize one yet .

Hey Tim, Nice trailer...

Now I am gona ask I stupid question, well at least to the truck guys. What is everyone talking about when they say americanize a trailer :lol:

Hey Tim, Nice trailer...

Now I am gona ask I stupid question, well at least to the truck guys. What is everyone talking about when they say americanize a trailer B)

Not a stupid question at all. For those of us who build American trucks, it just means making the trailer appear more like what you would find on an American highway. This trailer is of European design. Although I think the dumpbox could be used and modfied with a different susp and framework to represent something you might see here in the States. It is a cool looking kit. I've been wanting to try my hand at a European truck, and I definately would use this trailer with it.

Hey Tim, Nice trailer...

Now I am gona ask I stupid question, well at least to the truck guys. What is everyone talking about when they say americanize a trailer

As a UK resident, I see a number of differences between Euro trailers and the kind of trailers often modelled in the US. Do they use 'Super Singles' in the US? Super Single wheels and tyres are universally used over here, they have wide tread tyres used singly instead of doubled up (2 to an axle instead of 4). Things like rear lamps and marker lights look different. Euro trailers often have side bars running under the body between the rear wheels and the back of the tractor (if there is any space), to prevent cars going underneath in the event of a crash. Similar bars are on the rear end. I think different materials are used to make 'em too - not so much ribbed sheet metal or polished aluminium on Euro trailer bodywork. Also, the trailers just look different in terms of size and shape. Well, they do to me at least. This is probably a result of the generally older European highway network having tighter bends and lower bridges and all that. Small diameter wheel/tyre sets are often used to allow higher bodywork to be used and still fit within load height restrictions.

These are all reasons why I enjoy modelling US vehicles, it's a different look to what I see everyday on the road B)

daf-seven.jpg

iveco-bedfords.jpg

As a UK resident, I see a number of differences between Euro trailers and the kind of trailers often modelled in the US. Do they use 'Super Singles' in the US? Super Single wheels and tyres are universally used over here, they have wide tread tyres used singly instead of doubled up (2 to an axle instead of 4).

In North America, super singles are not too common but are mostly seen on gasoline (petro to you) tanker trailers. You can on occasion see them on fleet tractors

v4yw44.jpg

fergus-july-06-012.jpg

(if there is any space), to prevent cars going underneath in the event of a crash. Similar bars are on the rear end.

Under run protection is only required on the rear of trailers. Possibly due to North American passenger vehicles on average being larger than Euro passenger vehicles, or possibly that the trucking industry lobby is so strong that they prevent that regulation.

I think different materials are used to make 'em too - not so much ribbed sheet metal or polished aluminium on Euro trailer bodywork.

The tastes of Europeans, like the European autos are less flashy than North American’s.

Also, the trailers just look different in terms of size and shape. Well, they do to me at least. This is probably a result of the generally older European highway network having tighter bends and lower bridges and all that. Small diameter wheel/tyre sets are often used to allow higher bodywork to be used and still fit within load height restrictions.

Older narrow roads and shorter distances.

These are all reasons why I enjoy modelling US vehicles, it's a different look to what I see everyday on the road :lol:;)

Regarding the Super Singles, more and more flatbed fleets are using them, too. However, they're still not trusted yet by many.

The crash bars are a cool idea, but that adds weight. I would imagine that they are of a heavier construction. Most fleets would avoid installing them for fear of losing any hauling capacity in terms of weight, although the safety directors would love them.

Edited by FlatbedKW