Model Cars Magazine Forum

saw the AMT 37 chevy coupe re-release last night

it's like that on a bunch of models; there's the AMT 49 merc in the store in three (at least) different boxes; the red car, the boyd car, and i think another blue (?) car. i know the boyd car will have some parts removed or changed to fit those ridiculous wheels and tires, but the others are the same kit in the box. all are differently priced from 14.99 to 16.99.... some other kits get this same treatment for being in "new" box.

even if it's a stevens repop, why the boost in price when lots of the last issue are still available? just for the old style box? i don't buy models for the box they come in, i build them,and usually end up storing them in that very same box, along with similar or same models. granted, AMT probably doesn't plan on issuing the regular 37 kit in their plain series but plenty are available.

BTW: big lots (the closeout folks) was filling the shelves with AMT too fast too furious kits the other night. check there if that's your interest; they're down to 4-5 bucks. i don't generally do imports.

even if it's a stevens repop, why the boost in price when lots of the last issue are still available? j.

I haven't seen the last issue in many years...wasn't that a Michael's Craft Store issue about 5-6 years ago? I know there was the Wal-Mart pre-paint but that was the convertible..

Hobbytown is generally a bit higher than everyone else on the limited-run stuff;<snip>

For that matter, H-town also sells regular-issue kits at full list.

Yeah, Hobbytowns are usually pretty steep...the last time I bought kits from one was when they had a going out of business sale..I picked up the Trumpeter Novas for $12 apiece and a bunch of AMT kits at $5 each then.

our local hobbytown is 1/3 the game in town; one older established shop that REALLY hikes prices up, and a new guy with a wide array of models and not a disguised beanie bear store (we had another shop that was racing oriented and i think his downfall was beanie bears; they took over the shop and that was it) that promises to be good competition for ht. we got micheals and ac moore for more competition.

the hobbytown held a big clearance sale last month on mostly military stuff and i was a little curious that the unsold, marked down, clearance kits had been marked back up and put back in stock!

ANYWAY; i also noticed that wallyworld bucked it's 4-5 buck kits off the shelves and is putting the same models with new packaging on the shelf at the regular 10-12 bucks....

the prepainted kits usually don't sell well here for some reason; i got some great deals on clearance for the monte carlo and the bandit trans am.