Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Car Tips & Tricks Dvd'S

Ever bang your head against a wall for a while before you find out that the wall ain't moving. Welcome to my modeling career. I went and spent a few bucks and bought the new Donn Yost DVD set and all I can say, is where the hell was it a few years ago when I was a blind man in a forest? It took me a few days to get through the DVD, but I sure wish I had it a few years ago as it would of grease the skids on my modeling efforts alot. What I liked about the DVD is that it isn't an over polished, disingenuine effort. It is authentic and gritty just as Donn appears to be. While it might not be of value to the more advanced guys. Guys who are habitual winners in major shows, for the majority of you guys it is an excellent value as how you can improve any model. While Donn concentrates on mainly Gassers an muscle cars, his skills come from his model train background. The organization of the DVD is excellent. One that even my ADDHD laded mind could follow. He is sincere. He is real. And I find all of that a comfort in that he makes you feel that Hey, putz you can actually do this stuff!

Excellent money spent. Buy now before you gork another kit! (not that I ever have. yuk, yuk.)

Doug Froh

Oh be still my beating heart ! You , Mike ? Want to try enamels now ? Dont let Harry hear this , The Tinman will have a stroke ! The new dvds are done just like the first one , only diffrence , 4 hrs of info this time ! These are geared toward the new guys and those that want to step up their game , contest wise ! Sorry , Mister Sauber ! No dvds for you ! :lol:

All I'm trying to do here is help out by shortening the learning curve to help modelers save time and money and relieve alot of the frustration that comes with it. It pleases me to no end that ya'll are enjoying them , plus learning at the same time. This is the most important thing. it is what I set out to do in the first place! I figured that after all the years that I've had to sleep with Lady Trial n Error , albeit not me , somebody should benefit from said situation ! :)

Thanks for the kind words , Guys !

The Old Man

With the lacquer thinner it still smells right...My biggest need is quick dry to stop blush as humidity is normally 65 to 95 % here.

With the booth and dehydrator it is worth a try...Cause..its how it looks that makes it worth all that timecool.gifcool.gif

Mike ,

The cheap laquer thinner will have it drying in no time flat .Using the laquer as your cutter removes all the voodoo and old wives tales associated with enamels ! It helps the paint dry quick , pull tight , with no loss of detail, either . I don't believe you'll need the dehydrator , I've never used one in my life .

As I always advise the guys in the Deep South and Far North ..... Have bodies prepped and ready to go when your paint windows are at their best ! 68 to 72 degree temperatures with low humidity are ideal conditions for airbrushing.When temps are'nt ideal or the humidity is high , prep your kits for paint to stay out ahead .

As much as you and I have bantered back and forth about paint , I think you'll learn to love the enamels too ! You start with a gloss base, enhancing the depth of color and richness with your clear coats. As long as you are controlling your paint environment , there is little need for alot of sanding on the finish. When all is said and done , you have a finish that looks as though you could dive into it ! It is a win - win situation !

Donn