Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Sets,Supplies,Etc

Hi Guys,Im kinda new to this hobby.I havnt done any car models since i was a young teen,Im 39 now.Im on a low budget and want to know where is the best place to buy Paint,Paint sets and other supplies needed for the Hobby.I live in the Salisbury MD area,but online stores would be great also.

Walter- You can try Wal-Mart,Michaels,Hobby Lobby,Home Depot & Lowes you have one of those stores in your area. The best online places i'd find thats cheap is Model Expo & Squadron. I always get my spray cans from Lowes they have a nice variety and all kinds of colors to choose from cant go wrong for $3.44 a can its Valspar Enamel paints. You have a Harbor Freight in your area you can check theyre too for Alligator Clips,Clamps,Rosin Core Solder. PM me for more places you can look for i could go all day long to help a fellow modeler out.

I get a lot of my supplies from Megahobby and Tower hobby, both online shops with a good selection of stuff and good prices.

http://www.megahobby.com/

http://www.towerhobbies.com/

Micheals has cheap acrylic paints in 2 oz bottles (Folk art and Americana are two brands), that really is pretty decent stuff. Lots of colors, and brushes pretty well. I'm not sure how it airbrushes. I bought a bunch for my son to use on dinosaur models and was impressed with how well it works. I still use hobby paint for the most part but if you are on a tight budget, these paints are worth a look. At $1.99 for 2 oz it is way more affordable than the hobby paints that run nearly $4 for 1/2 oz.

Most of the colors are flats, so you may want to find a clear to go over it. While I mostly use hobby paints in bottles I do use a lot of Krylon, Rustolium and Duplicolor spray paint which again is far cheaper than the hobby spray paints and pretty good stuff. Duplicolor has a lot of "official" automotive colors as they sell many as touch up paint.

Edited by Aaronw