Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dashboard detail advice

Hi everyone One of the modeling goals I made this year to improve my dashboard detailing.Right now I just brush paint the gauges/vents they never seem to come out looking really good. What advice do you guys have at detailing them ? Oh I am currently building a stock amt ertl Peterbilt 359 .

Edited by mackinac359

On my instrument panels I use everything from brush paint to a tooth pick to add some detail.

I've even used Bare Metal Foil for the dials.

Here are some dashes I've done

no1dashes.jpg

I used a "drybrush" method to highlight the molded in detail. Drybrush=dip a brush in paint (silver in this case), wipe off most of the paint so the brush is almost dry and then gently brush over the raised detail.

no1dashtrimed.jpg

On the dash below, I used Bare Metal Foil for the dials, then painted the detail.

detailadded.jpg

Future Floor Finish is great to make the glass face of the dials. Fill the dial with Future and let it cure, then repeat until you get a nice domed effect.

2petedashesforcomparison.jpg

Here's an AMT Autocar (or White Road Boss or White-Western Star interior)

Interior_brown_Acar.jpg

Here's a Hayes Clipper interior (okay, AMT Peterbilt 352 Pacemaker). I drybrushed over the upholstery to highlight the detail.

75Hayesinterior1309.jpg

And here's a Ford LNT interior.

fordplowinterior8508.jpg

Toothpicks, thin plastic or metal can all be used to dab a tiny amount of color onto a raised detail to highlight it.

Tim

Edited by mackinac359

What's goin' on...

Here's one of my interiors. I pretty much learned from Tim. Apply Bare Metal Foil to the face of the dash then use either Sharpe Markers or Acrylic paint. When dry take some fine sand paper and run it across everything you want to have a chrome finish. I like to use 5 min. Epoxy to creat gauge lens. I think it's Model Car Garage has a photo etch set of itnerior junk I used on this.

Good Luck!!!

2997297916_e9d4fbab34_b.jpg