Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cherry Bomb, Chopper & Trailer

charlzrocks

Here is the latest canopy top custom from the Monogram kit.

I changed the color, lowered the rear, dropped in a Caddy v8 (the Revell parts pak only had an injector setup for a 6, but it still works for me) and tinted the canopy, that I wish came out darker. Next time I will try Future and india ink for the tint.

See more pics at my Fotki site under Custom and Concept cars. ;)

Thanks for looking!!

CB1.jpg

CB8-vi.jpg

Great color

the engine looks awesome engine

I love yellow, but every time I try and spray it can't get it to cover even.

Shayne

Thanks! It just had a mock up of a turbine engine in it and would look more like a go cart if I left it that way...thus the big engine. As for the yellow, it takes a two layer buildup of white base coat as the plastic is red, then 3 light mist coats to cover the angles and 2 wet coats to complete, and it still has areas that won't cover.

As for the name..............I like "Banana Bomb" :lol: :lol:

Edited by charlzrocks

thats a great build! looks real sweet in yellow too!

its kinda funny the parts packs have six port injectors? i had never noticed that! your aluminum tubes look great on there though.

Thanks!

Yeah, never figured out why the Caddy mill only has the 6 but it still looks the part. The setup on the engine had six small "Carbs" and I decided on the Aluminum stacks for looks. Realism went out the window! ;)

Nice! How about "Banana Splitz" for a name? I have used the VTH Engine Enamel in the past and with a coat of white, it seems to cover pretty well. Has a nice gloss right out of the can as well. I will have to try out the india ink/future idea. I have one of these in the queue and, like you, I will have to make it my own...

I really like this style of custom car!!

The trailer and bike add to the theme!!

Thanks for sharing,

Wow

That's a Sweet change of color on a TD Classic kit. By changing the color makes the rear wheels look smaller. hummm

Maybe some bigger slicks. Looks awesome thou, Thanks for sharing.

don v

p.s. you could use Tamiya transperant colors too get the effect you want on the glass canopy

Edited by showrodfreak

Wow

That's a Sweet change of color on a TD Classic kit. By changing the color makes the rear wheels look smaller. hummm

Maybe some bigger slicks. Looks awesome thou, Thanks for sharing.

don v

p.s. you could use Tamiya transperant colors too get the effect you want on the glass canopy

The kit has slicks that ARE smaller than normal for a 1/24 kit but the fender clearance is not there to use larger ones and still keep the stance the same. The only other option was to use bicycle wheels on the front, which I didn't have. I don't believe it is a Tom Daniel design as his name is nowhere on the box or instructions and a Google search came up with nothing but the kit itself, no real show rod, nuthin! :(

As for the India Ink/Future experiment, I have yet to try it. I don't want to use a Spray on the canopy cause there is no way to fix errors. Future dissolves itself when re-dipped, making it more forgiving to use. I have been using food dye with it, Rit dye turns it to a grainy sludge. So India Ink is my next step.

...and Thanks Raul! I wish more builders would try show rods, I love the way they come out...not normal! LOL! :o

I settled for "Banana Bomb" because "Banana Splits" reminded me too much of the old kiddee tv show! LOL! Man, am I old or what! BTW, I just turned 52 today so Happy Birthday to Me :D , I guess I am an old Phart! :P

>Future dissolves itself when re-dipped

actually it will just come off clean with a bit of ammonia. even with certain tint media in it.

i like the idea of using future and food dyes to do the tinting, its flexible and re-doable. if it came out too light, maybe another coat? i gotta think you tried that though...

thing with india ink is its permanent so even though the future should come off with ammonia etc, there might be some staining with the india ink. worth a try though. its hard to get just that right level of tint without overdoing it...and with me i usually dont even realize ive gone too far until i have it out of the paint booth and onto the car. while im doing it, i never notice how much its really building up and the really "right" amount gets exceeded almost right away! :( i always got to keep a sign in my painter friends shop in my mind while im painting: "More On?" (heh heh moron heh heh and yeah i usually go for the moron move despite it all)

More On...that's funny!! I gotta remember that!! B)

If I need to take future off, I just dip a qtip in future and wipe till the color is gone. When I "Double dip" in the future, it will not build up in any significant way. Good point about the india ink permanence probability. I always test the mixture on a clear plastic spoon or two before committing the part to the tint itself. I was thinking of trying some Createx tinting black acrylic (I used to use it when airbrushing portraits on t-shirts) and it might do the trick, if I can still find it.