Model Cars Magazine Forum

Detailing an Engine

Not sure if this is the right place for this topic but here goes. I bought a 1320 model of Don Garlits' Wynnscharger dragster (1/24 scale diecast) a while ago. I've just been looking at it and started wondering - would the engine detailing on this model be considered good, not so good, or somewhere in between? It's been a long time since I've built a model and I didn't do any engine detailing back then.

How about that... a question about a model I have! Unfortunately, I'm temporarily wheelchair bound, and there is a staircase between me and the model!

Received_13_08_2007212213-vi.jpg

I did find this pic, is this the one? Because if it is, I think that has the "horizontal distributor" which is not right.

I'll wait while you go check. :blink:

Jon, That's the same one I have. Hmmm the distributor is not correct, any other obvious faults or errors? Would the wiring, hoses, belts, linkages, etc. be considered well done? As I said I've never detailed an engine so I was just wondering if this is a good example to go by. Thanks very much for your input. Hope you're up and walking around again very soon. :rolleyes:

Roger,

If you need details click on my fotki link or whatever it says,when you get there go to the albums/1 to 1 drag racing albums/then engine details and you should find most of what your looking for there or type in the engine cubes you want to build and there's all kinds of details pics on the internet,hope this heps,Randy

Well, I'm no expert on engines by a long stretch. But as I said, the distributor is pointing horizontal. Just Google Image "Hemi Engine", "Hemi Dragster", etc. for reference. I cut off the distributor at the stem, and turned it vertical. It didn't work well... I should have used a new distributor, as the attached wires don't have enough excess, and now look stretched tight.

When I did that, I noticed the rear mags should be more of a cast metal or aluminum color, no big deal. I plan on painting them. But be warned, those slicks don't just pop off the wheels. Under that tire, the wheel is molded with a big filler ring to give the tire some strength so the tire won't flatten under the weight of this die-cast model. I think it was unnecessary. That inner lip makes removing the tire from the rim difficult.