Model Cars Magazine Forum

vacuform at home???

nomad1952

hello everybody i need some help.. i have a large ammount of models , built,clunkers etc and as i restore them...i hope. i need alot of glass , mostly windshields to replace broken or paint damaged ones. is there anyone who knows of a cheap way to vacuform new glass... thanks

Hi a lot of old glass that has been painted can be cleaned off using super clean degreaser. I use mine straight strength get a tub and soak the part in the cleaner for awhile. when it starts to loosen up take a tooth brush and clean the part(do not allow the cleaner to dry on the part)and rinse it under warm water after cleaning. this will take the paint off, after cleaning you can polish the old glass with (kit scratch-out)automotive polish for real cars...It works very good just remember the plastic glass may be fragile so you dont break it. I have done this many times with great results....I am trying to restore my dads old models and it has worked on them as well. :lol:

Yes, go t your local lumber yard, and ask for a couple pieces of thier scrap wood. look for the small firing strips and maybe a piece of 1X8 or so. Make yourself a small box and drill holes in the top. Use PVC pipe out the side that you can slide your vacuum hose into or over. That will become your vacuum box. Then make a small frame that you can clamp together to hold your clear plastic in. Make it small enough so it will fit into a toaster oven. Yes, you can use your full size oven, but in my case, I picked up a working toaster oven for $2. at the local thrift store. turn on the toaster oven and let it warm up. Once its warmed up, slide your clamped plastic into it. When you see it just barely start to sag in the middle, its time to pull it out, put it on the vacuum box(with vacuum already attached) then throw on the swtch to the vacuum. Only takes a few seconds and your done. Jody

hello everybody i need some help.. i have a large ammount of models , built,clunkers etc and as i restore them...i hope. i need alot of glass , mostly windshields to replace broken or paint damaged ones. is there anyone who knows of a cheap way to vacuform new glass... thanks

B) if you need some thing vacuformed i have a vacuform and i ve done rc car bodys

i may be able to do car glass it may not be as good factory stuff also mcw sell

a lot of differnt glass i have had great luck with there glass

Email me

See if you can get some PETg. Hobby People carry it; aircraft modelers use it for vacuforming canopies. PETg forms easily with heat. It's clearer and glossier than acetate or styrene.

Aircraft modelers do a lot of vacuforming. You might try to find an aircraft modeling forum and ask about their tools and methods.