Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alloway's Hot Rod Shop 33 roadster.....

Rat_Pack

Back in 98 I started this project when very few people were building street rods with the "old school" rubber rake. One professional builder has always built his cars with the "rubber rake" which gives them almost a cartoonish Hot Wheels look, and that is Bobby Alloway. His 33 Victoria Ridler Winner in 1985 made a lasting impression on me as to what a Hot Rod was to look like. It has huge 33.5" tall tires in the rear mounted on Halibrand magnesium wheels, with dragster like skinnies up front. The car had the right attitude and looked like eat was moving when sitting still. Originally this started off to be a replica of Tom Clark's 33 roadster which appeared on the front cover of The Rodder's Journal #6 which Alloway had built along with a matching 3-window coupe for himself. Unfortunately Tom's car burned to the ground one night while on the lift at Alloways due to a lightning strike which burned Bobby's garage to the ground. I lost interest in the model, and came across it a couple years ago while looking for something else. Bobby rebuilt the shop, and has started building some amazing hot rods since then. I may eventually finish this one up, but for now it sits in its box in the closet.

I have modified the firewall and cowl to replicate the one on Tom's car eliminating the cowl vent and moving the Past Tech Duvall windshield forward towards the hood. The rear fenders have been bobbed a scale 3" with the gas tank cover modified to match. The rear wheelwells and interior floor are all scratchbuilt along with the tunnel. The front axle has been relocated to put the wheels in the center of the wheelwells. The rear wheels are from an old Street Fighter Sedan delivery kit, but now that Polar Lights has correct ET III wheels I will eventually change them out. The rear tires are from one of the Revell pro street kits, and they have been split down the middle with about an 1/8" removed then reglued to narrow them up. The sidewalls have been sanded smooth and will get polished out to remove all traces of lettering (we did this on the real cars while I worked for him and it is a freakin mess to do!!!). So basically that is it in a nutshell as to where I stopped on it about 12 years ago........RatPack................

100_5259.jpg

100_5267.jpg

100_5269.jpg