Model Cars Magazine Forum

G&J - Tube chasis help

G&J let me start off by saying I really like your forum.

can you please tell me where i might be able to find drawings on how to measure and build a tube chasis for a promod. i have asked at other sites

and i get no reply or they tell me check out some ref. pages. whitch is sound advice but that only gets me so far. i have been building models on and off for 30 yrs but only stock . i'm ready to move in a new direction. I will deeply appreciate any advice..

------------------------

thanks

slyder 8)

slyder,

roll bar design depends heavily upon the shape of the car. Drawings will only apply if they are of the car you are working on. Soooo, that is to say that there is no place where drawings stored that I know of. Most modeler’s use the roll bars found in pictures of Pro-mod cars and modify the kit structures to match the pictures. I would start there and branch out to full scratchbuilding as your skills grow.

There will be a learning curve, like any other modeling skill, so your first project won't be the best. However, as you work I promise you will get better.

Good Luck!

Also, is that your real name? Could you please put your last name also in the signature text box please? Thank you!

8)

G&J let me start off by saying I really like your forum.

can you please tell me where i might be able to find drawings on how to measure and build a tube chasis for a promod. i have asked at other sites

and i get no reply or they tell me check out some ref. pages. whitch is sound advice but that only gets me so far. i have been building models on and off for 30 yrs but only stock . i'm ready to move in a new direction. I will deeply appreciate any advice..

------------------------

thanks

slyder 8)

Pro Mod frames differ from car to car... some slightly some extremely. They all have the same key features but can look completely different. Every chassis builder out there has their own method of building a frame too. I salvaged some pics of a pro mod nova I started back in may, I had more pics of the frame step by step but can't seem to find them.

You're gonna want to start with the bottom frame rails first like shown below, its best now to do all the bracing. Its important that everything is straight because the rest of the frame will build off it. If this step is off the rest of the frame will be off. The roll bar was also added in this pic

IMG_0339.jpg

I started shaping the cage next... although you can start adding the next set of frame rails next... The top framerails will generally bend in to make room for a drivers seat, some will only do the driver side rail but usually they both bend in (check the frame for the camaro below for a better view)

IMG_0345.jpg

This was the almost completed frame, more bars and bracing were added later.

IMG_0371-1.jpg

This is my most recent frame.. for an Outlaw Pro Street Camaro. Its a pro mod frame just with a shorter wheelbase.

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

In my opinion its much easier to scratchbuild the frame instead of working off a kit frame. To the best of my knowledge there isn't an accurate pro mod frame out there anyways, so you'll still have to do a fair amount of mods and sratchbuilding.

You might have already been provided with this link but I really can't think of a better site for reference pics...

http://vpracecars.com/informationPage.asp?whichOne=3

Hope this helps some...