Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airbrush "spatter" question

Many moons ago I had an Aztek single action airbrush (A320) and got excellent results spraying (unthinned) Tamiya acrylics using canned air at first and then later on, a compressor. I no longer have that one but I do have the double action A430 and still have my compressor equipped with a water trap and regulator. I tried priming (Revell '69 Nova SS) with Tamiya tonight. The hood turned out nice but when I started on the body I got some lumps. Not many, but even one is too many. I didn't want to make noise (the boss was napping) digging out the compressor so for the priming step I was using the air can and a .45 mm nozzle. Could the spatters be due to the drop in the can pressure from very high to kinda low? Or maybe I need more practice balancing the air to volume of paint with a double action airbrush?? Other than the three or four spatters, it had nice uniform coverage.

When you want a textured surface you drop the pressure in the gun to kinda "spit" the paint out, since the hood came out good I'd say you're right about the pressure dropping. The canned air will drop pressure during heavy use due to the can freezing. Plopping it in warm water is a good idea.