Model Cars Magazine Forum

SOS... I Need Some Information!

okay everyone i need your help! I'm building a 1970 Challenger convertible kit and i need information things like where was the plant that built the convertibles? what was the average number of people it took to complete one? how many coats of primer, paint, and clear went on one? which company made the original tires that went on the car? so if anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated. you can post it here or E-mail me at 1967@chess.com thank you! :P

What was the average number of people it took to complete one? Even Chrysler Corp didn't know. They didn't even bother to use cash flow control systems in these days, which became painfully evident later that decade.

Edited by Junkman

I was selling plymouths then . Chrysler generally sent what people wanted . Meanwhile You would find more than enough messups on the assembly line . lee Iococca's book backs this story up . The were famous for destroying an order and sending out whatever was sitting close at hand .You could have ordered a Dodge Challenger and gotten Power sttering and non power brakes and a 34o engine in a Lime green car with an orange interior ! If ya dont beleive me , get a copy of Mopar Enthusiast magazine ! Ed Shaver

You don't have to go this far. Ordering a Mopar in those days was an experience not for the faint hearted. To say Chrysler Corp was run by eccentrics is a gross understatement. I'm mad enough to say that I actually appreciated it. The more sober minded just turned around and ran like f00k. Them were the days.

What came after? In 1987 I tried, actually attempted, to buy a Plodge Granfifthlomat with a 318 and whitewalls in black with a burgundy interior. The car was sitting right there in the showroom of a Chrysler dealership. The dealer himself looked at me like I was a total lunatic trying to deprive him of the best horse in his stable. I went over to Cable-Dahmer Chevrolet and bought a brand new IROC-Z in electric blue metallic with the 350 TPI for LESS!