Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stainless Steel

Does anyone know of a paint, rattle can or airbrush, that looks like stainless steel, like on the Delorean's? I have 3 to paint.

Model Master Metalizer has it in 1/2 oz. bottles. I built 3 also and used Alclad the shot it with a dullcoat to take off the shine.

Ray Carey

rtcarey11

flatten out the shine!

As the brushed stainless outer skin of the real Delorean has a fair amount of shine to it, I'd probably recommend against that. If anyone here has a stainless sink in their kitchen, give it a good look.

800px-Delorean_dmc12_rear.jpg

I was thinking a nice, non-metallic silver spray(like Tamiya AS-12 'bare metal silver') would make a good base for the stainless panels; some light sanding with 1000-2000 grit paper in long strokes from front to rear on the body, followed by clear might do the trick nicely. The nose and tail caps on the body might be better served with DullCote over a different silver, as the endura plastic on the real cars never could match the stainless parts.

Edited by VW Dave

Thanks for all of the advice. Ive decided to go with Model Master Stainless Steel Metalizer and Anthracite Gray Metallic for the nose and tail sections. My girlfriends gonna be p!@@ed when she see another $20 on top of the $40 for parts and $80 for the 3 kits (thats $140, for those keeping count). My excuse, but, I really wanted it baby! (insert sad puppy dog eyes here)

Good come-back! :lol: Someone did a die-cast version with 'brushed stainless' but I do not think it looked all that great. Too obviously 'brushed'. Maybe one of the 'steel' paints with a muted shine would work?

Nope, a plastic kit with a Chrome body.

I got one or two of them somewhere.

Thanks for all of the advice. Ive decided to go with Model Master Stainless Steel Metalizer and Anthracite Gray Metallic for the nose and tail sections. My girlfriends gonna be p!@@ed when she see another $20 on top of the $40 for parts and $80 for the 3 kits (thats $140, for those keeping count). My excuse, but, I really wanted it baby! (insert sad puppy dog eyes here)

Hey Will...

This subject comes up every now and again. I friend once told me how he told his lady "I don't smoke no more. I don't drink no more. I don't do drugs no more. With all the money I'm savin' us, this hobby is a bargain!"

Me? I just leave it out in the car until she goes to bed! ;)