Model Cars Magazine Forum

1939 Chevy - Simple Build

Duntov

OK….here is a build I decided to do based on a post by a member in the trades section….realized I had this kit and decided to build it……The Revell 39 Chevy Low Rider….I am NOT a low rider guy so the idea here is not box stock but a street rod version that could "actually run" on the street. …the wheels and tires are from the Revell Modified Racer kit from some time ago (it has a nice trailer too!!!)….they are big and little....... slicks and no name skinnies respectively. White wall inserts and nice chrome wheels with spinners…..you know the ones!!! If you "CAREFULY SAND" the back of the white wall inserts they fit a bit better in relation to the side wall of the tire…..just don't over do it!!! I was just about to hack up the suspension when I realized that it is already lowered (quite nicely I might add) and the big and little wheels and tires just seemed to drop right in and provide "EXACTLY" the stance that I wanted!!!! Wow, how often does "THAT" happen????. The slicks look like they touch but in actuality they leave plenty of (scale) room in the rear wheel wells….also, I added side panels to the hood….not stock but they have a chrome trim line made from styrene rod that mates up nicely with the stock trim on the body. They will be sanded down to match later. See the first pic.

39sideview-vi.jpg

The second pic is the blower shot. I had to rework this thing because of gaps etc etc….you know the issues but it comes out nice… I made front and back panels for the blower unit from .015 styrene and a top panel from .020 styrene and nut-bolt-washer castings from my SN3 model railroad stash (yes I am an SN3 SICKO!!!!!)…..I will use the kit supplied chrome velocity stacks and mount them on the new flat top panel.......Will need to scratch build a cooling system too and I have an idler pulley bracket made up to mount to the front of the engine......the kit supplied pulley & belt system is beautiful but loses a bit in the translation because the idler is just floating in thin air!!!!! (pics on that stuff later....maybe....... but for now)......see the second pic…

39Blowershot-vi.jpg

As I said I did not hack up the suspension…..it is pretty much bone – kit stock….I did make new mufflers from tube styrene….I filled in the open cast rear end with sheet styrene so it "looks" like it is a full casting from below and I added an aluminum tube drive line…..the chassis is painted with Tamiya Gun Metal and then shot with Testors Dull Cote lacquer…..I also reworked the exhaust lines by carving them out where they crossed the cast chassis cross-members. A bit of Quick Detailer Black will set this off nicely….I think...we will see on that…..see pic three…. I will use the kit headers.....cleanded up the seams and other dings and pinned them to the heads......eyeing a parts by Parks wired distributor to top off the engine.

NewMufflers-vi.jpg

The final pic is the dash…..I did not like the original so I scratch built this one……using angle cut and reamed styrene tube for the speedo and tach surrounds and a 2MM X 1.8MM jewelry crimp tube from Hobby Lobby for the center mount fuel gauge. I'll drop in some spare kit decal gauge faces later on. The top is the kit dash sectioned out and glued to a flat .030 styrene face. The upper and lower ridge lines are .060 half round and quarter round styrene. I may or may not add more to it........maybe a flush mount glove box door????. I will use the 50 Chevy Pick-up snap kit steering wheel…..just because I like it and you can "READ" the Chevy letters on it!!!……I am pondering either the Revell or old AMT 40 Ford bench seat to replace those terrible buckets????? is that what they are???? Also.....I am working on an AMT 66 Buick WIldcat......bone stock.....and in that kit is a REALLY NICE CHROME HURST SHIFTER!!!!!.....hmmm forgot about that little gem after all theese years.....you get just one guess as to where "THAT" item will end up!!!!!! see final pic…….No color at this point…..just pndering……

One more item.....I am in "HEAVT Travel MODE" so this is going slow....this is relegated to weekends only.....stay tuned......

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

NewDash-vi.jpg

Edited by Duntov

Sn3?!?!? How could you?? :P Heh, anything Narrow Gauge is cool! I've a small N scale railroad I'm working on off and on myself so I think we can forgive your Sn3 trangressions... Just build three street machines and one '50's custom and you shall be absolved of your sins... And I've been known to use HO scale nut/bolt/washer castings on my 1/25 scale builds from time to time. I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished. You don't see many '39's of any kind.

Just a quick line to remind you that the the trim down the side of the body isn't chrome, but just a trim line that is part of the body. I like the way you did the sides of the hood, it really looks clean. Keep us informed.

Thanks Del!!!

I wondered about that as I have two 39 pics.....one with chrome and one without.....I think your assessment is correct......see the 39 below (added the second picture as an edit). In this case I will go with color vs the chrome....

(edited: I don't know how the second one was done...it "looks" like a chrome strip but to your point the other pic clearly shows it is just a trim line)

Regards Bill (Duntov)

39trim-vi.jpg

Chrome39-vi.png

Edited by Duntov

Here is an update on this build....some minimal progress but progress nonethelss....the first two shots are the mocked up interior. This kit has a slab sided interior with no detail and a very shaollow engraving of the original dash. Last time I built a new dash ( a VERY simple one) and this update I have removed the jump seat, filled in the holes and added left and right door panel and accent lines made of .020 sheet for the panel and .035 rod for the accent line.....also scribed in the interior door panel lines. The accent lines will get BMF (probably aluminum) to set them off. The dash may get a glove box door or other VERY minimal details. Door handle and window cranks may come from another junked kit of some kind.....don't know yet....the seats are bucket seats from the AMT 66 Buick Wildcat....(I gave up on the bench seat) These buckets are just the right size and have nice stitching detail that shows up well even under paint..........see the first two pics.....

39interior1-vi.jpg

39interior2-vi.jpg

The next bit of information is on the engine. The engine is a left/right type with cast on oil pan, starter and oil filter. I eliminated the oil pan seam with Tenax and fine grit sand paper. I also carved out the plastic around the oil filter and added an oil drain plug and filter bolt with NBW castings. The oil pan drain plug has the bolt end sanded off flush with the nut to represent the flat plug head.....this particular casting had a flanged nut and large flat washer so it representd the plug very well once it was modified just a bit. Some clean up is still in order here......as you can see the photos can get brutal with respect to rough spots!!!! But then again.....plenty of time to correct it and you can improve your work immensely with a close up photo!!! You can also see the pilot hole for the oil gauge pressure line just above the filter.

39oilpan-vi.jpg

Last on the list is a shot of the new mufflers. The kit had some "half cast" items that looked like elongated plastic blobs. I used some .015 styrene for end flanges and some tube for the muffler body. I clipped out the cast units (ahead of the tappered ends - this salvaged the tappered area and clamps) and sanded the area flat....then cut the tube to length minus the .030 for the flanges. The result is nice looking and cost nothing as this stuff came out of the styrene scrap pile.

39newmufflers-vi.jpg

More tomorrow if time permits.....otherwise it's next weekend.

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

OK....a minor update on the engine....the kit engine is really nice but has many issues including no cooling system and no idler pulley for the blower....the main cooling hose rests just inside a notch inside the idler pulley bracket.......the following pics show the scratch built versions of those......all from scrap styrene except for the NBW castings.......also see the Parts by Parks wired distributor sticking up in the back......The blower will mate close to the intake upon final build......more as time permits....just ran ot of time this weekend....

Regards Bill (Duntov)

BestBlower-vi.jpg

BetterBlower-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update on my 39 Chevy build......traveling way too much so progress is slow but got into primer today....pinned the head-lights and filled the tail light voids....I will need to figure out a mild custom tail light set up. Also....added a lower radiator tank so the coolant hose will have something to attach to!!!! I also added a drain plug made from a nut-bolt-washer casting. I will add the electric fan from one of Revell 32 Ford kits. Here are the pics.......As mentioned before I scratch built some hood sides and added a panel line continuing from the side of the car....it's very understated and turned out pretty good.

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

Radiator-vi.jpg

39frontlow-vi.jpg

39Frontside-vi.jpg

39Rear-vi.jpg

Edited by Duntov

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update on my ’39 Chevy build up. It has been slow due to travel demands but quite a bit of progress this weekend. First on the list is the completion and mounting of the engine. This is the box stock engine with a Parks distributor & coil and a reworked blower casting. The blower is painted with magnesium buffing metalizer.

IMGP1044-vi.jpg

IMGP1045-vi.jpg

Here the engine has been mounted in the chassis and the body and fenders set on to test clearance. One item that needed to be changed was the firewall. I scratch built one since the kit item had a huge clearance hole in it that allowed the engine to be seen from the interior…..you can see the new unit in the pictures of the painted car below.

IMGP1046-vi.jpg

Also added were exhaust tips made from aluminum tube….these will get polished out upon final detailing.

IMGP1048-vi.jpg

The following shots are of the car just out of the paint booth. Simple stuff really….Tamiya Mica Blue over fine gray surface primer……came out very shinny and should get a bit better upon rubbing out. More as time permits………

Front1-vi.jpg

Overall1-vi.jpg

Overall2-vi.jpg

Here is an update on my '39 chevy.......the paint is finished....a few touch ups left and the BMF is on ....also with some minor follow up. The frame has been set up with pins to mount the body front and rear. Some detail items left on the chassis but it's moving closer to being complete.......about two weeks out now as I will not get too much time this weekend........

Regards Bill (Duntov)

Interior - this is a very simple interior with few frills and just a bit of detail....:

Interior1-vi.jpgInterior2-vi.jpg

Exterior shots......may need to redo the hood side panel.....will see where it goes....................

Paintout1-vi.jpg

Paintout2-vi.jpg

Paintout3-vi.jpg