Model Cars Magazine Forum

BJ and the Bear Truck

Hello everyone....

I’m intended to star this new project and I was wondering which kit could be use to replicate the trailer.

As far I know, I suppose that Great Dane Dry Van Trailer will be a good start.

31943.jpg

…and if I’m correct, what are the changes I should do?

Am I wrong? So, which other kit will be better?

Thanks guys.

I'm not sure of the make, but his trailer did have a side door. And you'll need to change the rear wheels on that trailer if they are like the box art. Check you tube. There are several clips and complete shows on there so you can get some references from.

It all depends on the style of truck you're building, both trailers would work. If you are building from the show, the AMT kit would be the best choice, as it is a 40 foot trailer, but you would either have to find the reefer version of the trailer, or build one. If you are going for a replica, the Italeri 48' reefer would be a better choice. I found this pic somewhere online and downloaded it to my "Model Reference" file:

2777553774_51b841f36a_o.jpg

The trailer on this on is a modern Utility brand trailer with the more modern Thermo King reefer unit found in the Italeri reefer kit. The Utility 2000R is made in both 48' and 53' sizes (believe me I hauled many of them!), but in the good old days of "B.J. and the Bear" and "Movin On", the more common trailers were the 40 footers.

It all depends on the style of truck you're building, both trailers would work. If you are building from the show, the AMT kit would be the best choice, as it is a 40 foot trailer, but you would either have to find the reefer version of the trailer, or build one. If you are going for a replica, the Italeri 48' reefer would be a better choice. I found this pic somewhere online and downloaded it to my "Model Reference" file:

The trailer on this on is a modern Utility brand trailer with the more modern Thermo King reefer unit found in the Italeri reefer kit. The Utility 2000R is made in both 48' and 53' sizes (believe me I hauled many of them!), but in the good old days of "B.J. and the Bear" and "Movin On", the more common trailers were the 40 footers.

That's true when my dad was trucking he only ever hauled 40 footers, that was the early 80's, he got off the road around '87 and 48 and 53 footers were starting to over throw the 40 footers.

Thanks for posting that. I forgot it had the refer unit on it too. Been a while since I have seen that show.

That's true when my dad was trucking he only ever hauled 40 footers, that was the early 80's, he got off the road around '87 and 48 and 53 footers were starting to over throw the 40 footers.

Yeah, and when I started driving in 1998, there were still some 48 footers used be a few companies, but the 53 footer was the norm and 40 footers were relics!

Thanks for posting that. I forgot it had the refer unit on it too. Been a while since I have seen that show.

No problem, dwc, just keep in mind if you're going to build one closer to the tv truck, use the second pic I posted for reference. It is much closer to the tv truck than the first pic with the modern trailer. Also, just in case you need decals, here's links to some aftermarket sets:

Truck and trailer set: http://modeltruckin.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_12_61_62&products_id=104

Truck set: http://www.jbot.ca/cars/trucks/bjbear1.shtml

Trailer set: http://www.jbot.ca/cars/trucks/bjbear2.shtml

The links for the separate truck and separate trailer decals also have a nice pic of the passenger side of what appears to be an original truck, and the trailer does have the side door, too.

Edited by highway

No problem, dwc, just keep in mind if you're going to build one closer to the tv truck, use the second pic I posted for reference. It is much closer to the tv truck than the first pic with the modern trailer. Also, just in case you need decals, here's links to some aftermarket sets:

Truck and trailer set: http://modeltruckin.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_12_61_62&products_id=104

Truck set: http://www.jbot.ca/cars/trucks/bjbear1.shtml

Trailer set: http://www.jbot.ca/cars/trucks/bjbear2.shtml

The links for the separate truck and separate trailer decals also have a nice pic of the passenger side of what appears to be an original truck, and the trailer does have the side door, too.

Thanks for those links too. I'd like to do this truck and the one from Movin On. I tried my best to never miss those shows when they were on. They don't make good tv anymore like they used to lol.

B)

dwc43

If I were to make the BJ an Bear trailer, I think I would try and find one of the AMT Fruehauf 40' reefer trailers with the Watkins decals (AMT # T507) this is the best match for the trailer that was used on the show. It also comes with everything you would need to make your replica of the trailer, except the decals.

:lol: Jeff :rolleyes:

Thanks for those links too. I'd like to do this truck and the one from Movin On. I tried my best to never miss those shows when they were on. They don't make good tv anymore like they used to lol.

Dwc, you're welcome for the links, and both of those sites also have decals for the "Movin On" Kenworth. You're right, too, they DON'T make good tv anymore! Also, I have some pics of the "Movin On" Kenworth I found online also if you need them, and keep in mind, through my research, there were TWO different trucks used in "Movin On"! The first is the small bunk truck like the AMT kit, but the later seasons had a large bunk and the perfect kit for the later truck is Revell of Germany's Kenworth W900.

Dwc, you're welcome for the links, and both of those sites also have decals for the "Movin On" Kenworth. You're right, too, they DON'T make good tv anymore! Also, I have some pics of the "Movin On" Kenworth I found online also if you need them, and keep in mind, through my research, there were TWO different trucks used in "Movin On"! The first is the small bunk truck like the AMT kit, but the later seasons had a large bunk and the perfect kit for the later truck is Revell of Germany's Kenworth W900.

I seem to remember when the Movin On kits were on the shelf. I think the box art showed an aux trans so that means more than one shifter. I don't recall the truck on TV having that set up.

I seem to remember when the Movin On kits were on the shelf. I think the box art showed an aux trans so that means more than one shifter. I don't recall the truck on TV having that set up.

Yep, you're right! I'm not sure on the real truck (too young, I wasn't even born when the show was on the air), but I know the kit had the aux trans, just like all the other AMT KW W900 kits. Even the T600 kits of the early 90s had the aux trans in it, and two stickers were WAY gone by that time! The only AMT KW W900 kit I have ever seen without the aux trans (it's still there but not used) is the old Alaskan Hauler issue. The kit includes ALL of the parts needed to build the W900 like the "Movin On" issue, but includes, according to the instructions, a 16 speed Spicer trans that does not use the aux trans or the second stick shift.

Yep, you're right! I'm not sure on the real truck (too young, I wasn't even born when the show was on the air), but I know the kit had the aux trans, just like all the other AMT KW W900 kits. Even the T600 kits of the early 90s had the aux trans in it, and two stickers were WAY gone by that time! The only AMT KW W900 kit I have ever seen without the aux trans (it's still there but not used) is the old Alaskan Hauler issue. The kit includes ALL of the parts needed to build the W900 like the "Movin On" issue, but includes, according to the instructions, a 16 speed Spicer trans that does not use the aux trans or the second stick shift.

Thanks. That's what I thought. I can find plenty of BJ clips on you tube, but there's not a lot of Movin On clips for reference.

Thanks. That's what I thought. I can find plenty of BJ clips on you tube, but there's not a lot of Movin On clips for reference.

I know, the few I seen from "Movin On" looked good for a few shots of the truck, but not many good inside views.

Highway, thanks for the tips and photos.

The J-bot decals I already knew, but not the Modeltruckin. I tried to send an e-mail to both. J-Bot has its inbox totally fully. No new orders available.

Modeltruckin, the e-mail have returned... So I can´t make contact with no one…

Highway, thanks for the tips and photos.

The J-bot decals I already knew, but not the Modeltruckin. I tried to send an e-mail to both. J-Bot has its inbox totally fully. No new orders available.

Modeltruckin, the e-mail have returned... So I can´t make contact with no one…

You're welcome, Drago, and try this thread for info on Modeltruckin.com:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28084

You could probably PM phoneguy to find out why your emails are coming back to you.

• 2 weeks later...

You're welcome, Drago, and try this thread for info on Modeltruckin.com:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28084

You could probably PM phoneguy to find out why your emails are coming back to you.

Highway, thanks a lot. I received your e-mail and ASAP I will reply with the files.

I just bought this trailer. I guess it will be perfect to make the truck. I only have to make the refeer unit from styrene sheet.

What you guys think about it? Did I get it right?

2008-08-04-1216-40.jpg

Highway, thanks a lot. I received your e-mail and ASAP I will reply with the files.

I just bought this trailer. I guess it will be perfect to make the truck. I only have to make the refeer unit from styrene sheet.

What you guys think about it? Did I get it right?

2008-08-04-1216-40.jpg

I think you got the trailer just right. AMT also had that trailer with the reefer, but like you said, the reefer is not that hard to scratchbuild. As for getting my e-mail, I'm sorry, but I don't remember sending you an e-mail, are you sure it was not someone else?

Highway, you are right…. My mistake. The e-mail was sent to me by “phoneguy†member, who runs modeltrucking right now. Sorry for that…

I already made contact with a friend that will check his spare parts box for a refeer unit…. Let’s see…

Thanks again.

Highway, you are right…. My mistake. The e-mail was sent to me by “phoneguy†member, who runs modeltrucking right now. Sorry for that…

I already made contact with a friend that will check his spare parts box for a refeer unit…. Let’s see…

Thanks again.

Hey, no problem! I just didn't want you to get mad at me for not replying! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

If I'm not mistaken the trailer used in that series was either a HOBBS or a Timpte?

You may be right on the HOBBS, the pic I posted of the original truck looks close to Smokey and the Bandit's HOBBS, but the replica's pic is definitely a newer Utility 2000R, I hauled enough of them!! :)