Model Cars Magazine Forum

Soap Box Derby, anyone?

There I was. There I was. 1968, at the starting line. Northeast Minneapolis. Ready to go. Lost first round. <_< Got a new MPC 1/20 Turbine car kit out of the deal. :) Still have the awesome helmet, though. I drive past this very spot regularly today.

soapboxderby-vi.jpg

Edited by Modelmartin

Hey Andy, I didn't do much better my first race in 1971. We finally got double elimination instituted so I got to go down the hill at least 4 times before being eliminated for good. There were ... wow, lots of cars. I am guessing between 70 to 90 back then.

Salem, OR has a track in a downtown park so it's dedicated to SBD only but joggers use it alot too. Salem still has an active program but rarely get more than 25 cars entered each year. Suppose I could dig out a picture of my car and my having to wear embarrassing horn rim glasses.... but I won't. :lol:

I did a lot better the next year scoring a 4th place and getting to kiss Miss Oregon during the awards ceremony. Never did anything close the last two years because I grew so tall.

And I never got a model car as a consolation prize ever..... ;)

Edit: finally found that pic.

SBD1972_72dpi-vi.jpg

But not going to bump the thread....

Edited by Jairus