Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pacific Northwest 1926 Mack Bulldog incline Logger

I found this truck in a picture and decided to build it for my oldies logging collection. the model represents an Incline Logger set up to be winched backwards up an incline, trailer taken down and the truck loaded, then winched back down the incline. These types of early trucks had wooden bunks and did not rotate, as there was really no need for them, as they went up and back down inclines and very seldom a long distance on roads. They were winched backwards up the mountain by means of a chain hanging down behind the truck which was connected to the haul back line of the Steam donkey at the top of the mountain and once loaded they were winched back down in the same way. A chain attached to the trailer and connected to the donkey for lowering. They were kept on the incline by means of small logs which were layed by the riggers and crew to form an enclosed trackway which kept the wheels in line as the truck traveled up and down.

The project was easy and required Monogram 1926 Mack which was built as is except for the Fuel tank which was omitted and the bunks and trailer was scratchbuilt out of Evergreen and Basswood. After it was completed it was then heavily weathered to show use on the inclines. It was basicaly a two night project.

post-5885-1270093191061_thumb.jpg

Edited by muleskinner

William,

This looks great. When you consider that the cab is open to the elements (Mk I air con) you have to have some sympathy and respect for the people who worked these old trucks. Hard work, dangerous, freezing cold and wet in winter and hot in summer. Someone had to do it.

With all these logging trucks and equipment that you are building you could put together a history of logging uing these great models.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

I think the very first Mack to be used in the woods was RE "Rod" Grey in Bellingham, Washington and later years he lived in Sedro Wooley, WA

I looked over your photos on the link. Nice looking collection of oldies from the past eras. I used to be into old cars from the nostalgic eras of the 50's to the 60's but my son Bill who's self loader international you have in you model files got me into building historical logging models. Still like to look at the older years of the automobile though. Makes me wish I still had my old 64 Dodge station wagon.

Very nice! And only a two day build? I'd have to be retired and the kids out of the house to get there. I am enjoying the logging history lessons. Went to the Collier Logging Museum near Klamath Falls a few years ago. Very neat!

Very nice! And only a two day build? I'd have to be retired and the kids out of the house to get there. I am enjoying the logging history lessons. Went to the Collier Logging Museum near Klamath Falls a few years ago. Very neat!

If you get a chance, go up to Brooks, Oregon above Salem on I-5 to the Pacific Northwest truck Museum. They have a lot of interesting displays in there which relate to the early and modern Days of logging and life in the northwest during those periods. They have a working steampowered sawmill also which is very interesting. They have a Web Site also which is:

www.pacificnwtruckmuseum.org

I looked over your photos on the link. Nice looking collection of oldies from the past eras. I used to be into old cars from the nostalgic eras of the 50's to the 60's but my son Bill who's self loader international you have in you model files got me into building historical logging models. Still like to look at the older years of the automobile though. Makes me wish I still had my old 64 Dodge station wagon.

Mmm

Muleskinner

There was a barber shop in Bellingham, WA years ago that had a photo story of Rod Grey on the wall and he did have a Mack that they winched up to the landing and then cabled down. Rod also went to Washington D.C. with a 3 log load on his last truck in about 1973 or when ever the fuel crisis started. I believe that he was in his late 80's then. I keep looking for some of those pictures to show up especially on Hank's forum but have never seen any.

Just after the war, Rod had a fleet of Mack loggers that were green with black fenders. If his wife caught one going down the road dirty, she would stop them and make them wipe it clean.

Mike

Edited by TUFF TIN

Mmm

Muleskinner

There was a barber shop in Bellingham, WA years ago that had a photo story of Rod Grey on the wall and he did have a Mack that they winched up to the landing and then cabled down. Rod also went to Washington D.C. with a 3 log load on his last truck in about 1973 or when ever the fuel crisis started. I believe that he was in his late 80's then. I keep looking for some of those pictures to show up especially on Hank's forum but have never seen any.

Just after the war, Rod had a fleet of Mack loggers that were green with black fenders. If his wife caught one going down the road dirty, she would stop them and make them wipe it clean.

Mike

Mike I am passing along an Email address to you which is a newspaper published in Washington state called Loggers World and Log Trucker. They have been around for many years and have published stories in their paper about trucking and logging units for the same period of time. I remember the truck going to washington DC from when I was stationed at Fort Lewis in the Army because my step Father in Arcata, California was asked to join the same road trip, but the company he Worked for (Wayne Bare Trucking) would not permit it. The paper may have something in their archives about Rod Grey's trucking unit. I have a subscription to both papers and they cover a wide area of the logging industry. I will check some of the information I have collected over the years and see what I come up with. In the meantime here is the email for the paper in Chehalis, Washinton. logworld@aol.com

An interesting bit of information I found in my research about these macks, the Army had their own logging crews in the Pacific Northwest to harvest spruce for the building of aircraft back in the twenties and thirties. They brought with them a lot of these trucks and used them to haul logs from the woods to the mills which were contracted to cut for the spruce logs for the military. The area around Powers Oregon and Eden valley was part of the military cutting areas, which was at the time controlled by Smith Powers lumber company. Port Orford Oregon was another area as well as the Coos Bay area. Another large area of military logging, was the Olympic Pennisula in Washington State. The military set up their own logging camps in the woods and had their soldier crews for falling and harvesting, many trained by the local loggers of the area. When the war finally came to America, only skeleton crews were left in the woods to continue cutting and the majority of the troops went to war. With the coming of all metal aircraft the military logging stopped and they left the areas, leaving behind a lot of these Macks which were considered out dated for military use. Many of these trucks had served in World War I in Europe with the US Expeditionary troops. The local logging units eventually took a lot of them over and put them back to work. Smith Powers Lumber Company in the Powers and Coos Bay area had a large fleet of these old military rigs for a long time until they were able to be replaced by newer equipment. They served their country well through two world wars and finally to their demise of the scrapyard, or where ever destiny layed them to rest.

William,

Nice research and very interesting.

After WWII, just after, a neighbor had several old GI rigs converted to log trucks in Bellingham, WA and some were the soft top type with no roof. They were red with black fenders. Rumor has it that a driver of the topless truck ran over a skunk and it pitched it into the cab. Man! That would make your day. The owner was was Abner Ludtke. Ludtke trucks still run up and down I-5 hauling freight

William,

Nice research and very interesting.

After WWII, just after, a neighbor had several old GI rigs converted to log trucks in Bellingham, WA and some were the soft top type with no roof. They were red with black fenders. Rumor has it that a driver of the topless truck ran over a skunk and it pitched it into the cab. Man! That would make your day. The owner was was Abner Ludtke. Ludtke trucks still run up and down I-5 hauling freight

Mike

I found some pictures you might be interested in while doing my research as they are from the Washington Pennisula and Northwest Washington area. I will scan them and post them for you to look at. They are kind of grainy as it looks as they may have been made off of Glass plate Negatives, but I could be wrong. Also if you go to page three of this forum and look for; Oakridge Museum Mack, you will find another old Mack which is, from what I've been told, the last remaining Mack of its kind in running condition here in the Northwest region.

post-5885-12704137174284_thumb.jpg

post-5885-12704137293658_thumb.jpg

post-5885-12704137475626_thumb.jpg

post-5885-12704137586527_thumb.jpg

post-5885-12704138194484_thumb.jpg

Edited by muleskinner

Great pictures William. I wish that they would have marked them for location as they could be anywhere in the day.

By the way, my son still logs in the northwest. Lives in Eatonville, WA and been logging out of Enumclaw, WA. so........... I once in a while get a copy of Log Trucker Magazine.

Mike

Great pictures William. I wish that they would have marked them for location as they could be anywhere in the day.

By the way, my son still logs in the northwest. Lives in Eatonville, WA and been logging out of Enumclaw, WA. so........... I once in a while get a copy of Log Trucker Magazine.

Mike

Mike'

Send me a regular Email and I will send you some pictures of a mack from the 50's which was found abandoned in the woods up by Cottage Grove Oregon. The logging unit next to my residence found it and brought it down from the woods. from what I under stand it once belonged to a long gone Gypo outfit and right now is destined for a logging Museum. Its a one of a kind find and shows the enginuity of the American Logger. My Email is available on my profile page. Just put "Mack" in the subject line so I know who it is.

If you get a chance, go up to Brooks, Oregon above Salem on I-5 to the Pacific Northwest truck Museum. They have a lot of interesting displays in there which relate to the early and modern Days of logging and life in the northwest during those periods. They have a working steampowered sawmill also which is very interesting. They have a Web Site also which is:

www.pacificnwtruckmuseum.org

Got to spend a few hours there on the same trip. Not nearly enough time.

Attached picture of a Pete logger that belongs to the Hays Truck Museum in Woodland, CA

post-4338-12705234878324_thumb.jpg

Mike'

Send me a regular Email and I will send you some pictures of a mack from the 50's which was found abandoned in the woods up by Cottage Grove Oregon. The logging unit next to my residence found it and brought it down from the woods. from what I under stand it once belonged to a long gone Gypo outfit and right now is destined for a logging Museum. Its a one of a kind find and shows the enginuity of the American Logger. My Email is available on my profile page. Just put "Mack" in the subject line so I know who it is.

William;

I sent a regular E-mail yesterday for the pictures but didn't hear from you. Did you get it?

Mike