Model Cars Magazine Forum

Flat, Satin and Gloss Paints

Hi guys, i'm working on a new project and it has alot of satin colors in the instructions, not that i paint by numbers lol, but was wondering if it was possible to make satin colors with future floor polish. I have it on hand readily and was wondering if any of you guys have done that. I haven't found satin colors in hobby shops in my areas, maybe the odd color.

Assuming satin is the same as semi gloss, you can make semi gloss paint by mixing flat and gloss paints together. Testors makes a semi gloss clear lacquer that you can use to put a satin finish on any paint. Alternatively, you could mix clear flat and clear gloss to get a clear semi gloss. As far as future is concerned, you could mix Tamiya Flat base with Future to get a semi gloss. I personally use the Testors semi gloss clear because I'm lazy and don't like the mess, measuring, and experimentation associated with mixing paints.

Hi guys, i'm working on a new project and it has alot of satin colors in the instructions, not that i paint by numbers lol, but was wondering if it was possible to make satin colors with future floor polish. I have it on hand readily and was wondering if any of you guys have done that. I haven't found satin colors in hobby shops in my areas, maybe the odd color.

Yeah, I have had pretty good luck with a flat base and future over top.