Model Cars Magazine Forum

Auto ID Quiz #1 FINISHED!

Interesting! I was having a hard time with this one so I did a little looksee on the web. It's a Simca that got rebadged when Chrysler took over the Rootes group. The Simca has ties to Fiat and later took over the French Ford manufacturing subsidiary!! Simca was taken over by Chrysler and folded into the Rootes Group when they were also bought out. Odd footnote to that is that the Sunbeam Tiger was now a Chrysler product and they had to warranty a Ford engine in the Tiger! :blink: A tangled web was woven by all the different takeovers and overseas subsidiaries that were undertaken. The parentage of this car is very murky! :P

The GTX you pictured was also called Simca Esplanada GTX! Without spending too much time on it I would guess that this car is a Hillman in origin. Hillman was part of Rootes group and built fairly good cars. I did a quicky search on Google and found Hillmans with a similar roofline. The car has its origins in the late 50s. That was a good one, Harry. Keep them coming.

3103975547_151253f959-vi.jpg

3103975917_43019f6fe4-vi.jpg

Here is the 1964 version.

simca_1964_propaganda-vi.jpg

Interesting! I was having a hard time with this one so I did a little looksee on the web. It's a Simca that got rebadged when Chrysler took over the Rootes group. The Simca has ties to Fiat and later took over the French Ford manufacturing subsidiary!! Simca was taken over by Chrysler and folded into the Rootes Group when they were also bought out. Odd footnote to that is that the Sunbeam Tiger was now a Chrysler product and they had to warranty a Ford engine in the Tiger! :lol: A tangled web was woven by all the different takeovers and overseas subsidiaries that were undertaken. The parentage of this car is very murky! :lol:

The GTX you pictured was also called Simca Esplanada GTX! Without spending too much time on it I would guess that this car is a Hillman in origin. Hillman was part of Rootes group and built fairly good cars. I did a quicky search on Google and found Hillmans with a similar roofline. The car has its origins in the late 50s. That was a good one, Harry. Keep them coming.

3103975547_151253f959-vi.jpg

3103975917_43019f6fe4-vi.jpg

Here is the 1964 version.

simca_1964_propaganda-vi.jpg

Andy... this is exactly the kind of interest (and a little learning) I hoped Auto ID Quiz would create.

Monday it's ROM's turn... but Auto ID Quiz will be back the week after.