Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fox Chassis (Ford) community build anyone?

whale392

Finally got a nice day for some paint, so sprayed Dave's '79 a shineeee coat of black using Krylon Short Cuts. Now to let it cure for a few days to see if it will need any sanding before clearing it. Actually, it's pretty glossy straight out of the can so I may leave it and just give it a polish in a couple of weeks once it gasses out.

painted2.jpg

Now back to Billy's "85" clone....... and shoot some more red on it........

Guys, I must say it took me until now to look at all the posts on this and all I can say is, WOW. I wish I had gotten on this site a year ago to get in on the community build myself. I'll be building several anyway. The Futura is REALLY cool and if it does go into production I would definitely be in on a couple. I am glad to see soo many others interested in building my most beloved car (ANY FOX_MUSTANG 79-93) and wanting to do it accurately. I can not wait until Revell unleashes a coupe, no matter what scale or year as long as it is well represented. Keep up the builds and I'll get to mine so we can all share picturs and stories of the car we love...Ridgley

Ridgley, the CBP may end on July 1st, but it will be re-opened as an open-ended build thread for the FOX chassis (as I have 40 FOXES in various stages of build myself!). Owning (currently) 4 of the real FOXes, I too love these cars. You are more than welcome to post here!

Tony, Dave's 79 does look SHINY indeed! Thanks for the updates, and keep 'em coming when color hits the plastic!

Hi Ridgley and welcome to the world of miniature Foxes!

This community build project isn't over until July so you have lots of time to jump in and join us. We've already discussed leaving it open ended although no decision has been made yet.

Tony

Cool, I think I just might. Gonna be hard to pick something from my stash, as all of us Fox-bodies fellas always seem to have more than one actual car and probably more than anyone's share of the miniatures as well. Not enough time to track down all the parts I'd want, so probably build something right outta the box.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally remembered to take the camera down to take a few pics...then kept forgetting to bring it back up to post them!! tongue.gif

Here's the first few bits of work on the body - opened the hood scoop, filled and filed the rear spoiler, the emblems and I think I got the mould seams.

Models010.jpg

Models011.jpg

Models012.jpg

Models013.jpg

Models014.jpg

Let me know what you think, and if there's something you see that I didn't!

Hi Tony,

Nice shiny body! Does it come in red plastic? I'm still looking for the new SVO kit in our local Hobby shop or Michaels. Seen a couple for sale on Ebay..... but, boy, do these guys want to get rich quick!! Hopefully Michaels will get a couple in soon and I can use the discount coupons.......

I'll be watching to see how this builds up. Looks good so far.

Tony

Hey, Tony, thanks...Yes, molded in red plastic - this was the '85 SVO that was originally released back in '84...the recent re-release is the same but in white plastic, and has nice decals for emblems, and gauges. A friend gave me his set, as he is going to build a race car or custom with his(I told him he should get on here-he isn't very computer savvy, so we'll see if I can convince him!), so I sanded off the molded-in emblems and plan to use the decals.

A few pics! The rear end is ready to have rod ends and hardware attached. The chassis isn't ready yet, but will hopefully make some steps in that direction very soon. I got my front frame rail master molded and cast. It's not perfect but given the circumstances, it turned out pretty decent. I'm working on the tubes that run from the A-pillar/dash bars to the front of the frame rail where the struts tie in. One strut is finished. The other is about 50% complete. I got the Lenco levers tacked together a couple nights ago. I've got the fuel cell mastered, molded and cast but not painted. No pics of it yet. I added a sump to it so it's more realistic appearing. Anyway, enough rambling for now...

Imports051711002.jpg

completed_rear_830_lev.jpg

completed_rear_5lev.jpg

Imports051711006.jpg

finished_strut_3_lev.jpg

finished_strut_1_lev.jpg

Edited by futurattraction

And now..... in total contrast to Scott's amazing work.....

Driveway Dave has istalled some dark red custom carpet in his custom '79 and is progressing along quite well. Being a simple curbside, I'm sure it will be finished before July.

79carpetted.jpg

Backyard Billy, on the other hand, has been struggling to get a decent paint job on his '85 clone and has already tried three attempts, sanding between each coat! In frustration, he's decided to strip the body back to bare metal (plastic) and make another attempt. Hopefully the filler won't disintegrate in the stripping process!

Tony, I think Billy will have a nice looking ride despite the paint issues........he seems determined to let nothing stop him! Daves interior looks sharp, and will contrast well with the Black exterior.

Scott; the progress you are making with the Futura is awesome. The rear looks great, and the front coil-over strut set-up looks dead-on.

Awesome work guys, and remember; once the July deadline hits, we re-open this as an open-ender!

I had a 61 Galaxie build that caught my attention at the workbench over the last little while. I did manage to put a coat of semi gloss black on the SVO body and chassis today...I thought I'd try painting the whole thing semi gloss, then gloss clear the body...or I may leave it as all semi gloss black! We'll see how the inspiration goes! I'm going for a grey interior, so will go together...I may even flock the floor...again, we'll see. I may build it OOB for a contest, so flocking wouldn't be allowed for that contest.

Also glad to see others making progress!!smile.gif

Edited by Tony T