Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

painting question

I am getting back into modeling and am taking more care on the details mainly paint. I have been waiting about 24 hrs between painting I am probably overdoing the time between paint sand and repaint but I want to see if it makes a difference in the long run. Any thoughts on this?

Well, for primers...1 hour is plenty, finish lacquers at least 24 hours, and finish enamels 48 hours. Clear coats I'd give a week.

That's been my experience...with models anyway. It's lil different than 1:1 cars

Unless you have a heated paint booth or " cook room ". That will shorten your time considerably, and harden the paint.

Find a 2ft by 2ft cardboard box and line it with tin foil and set it on it's side and use a heat lamp...makes a neat little "cooker". Just don't use a heat lamp too strong...it'll melt your car... :lol:

I use a food evaporator to speed things up. If you can find one around $20-25 bucks with a temperature control then GRAB IT! The maximum temp. you want your project to be subjected to is 110 degrees. Anything above that and yeah, things start to melt.

You can be inventive too. In the wintertime, I'm able to put painted parts on top of my furnace, put a box-top over it with about an inch hanging over the edge of the furnace to vent it. It gives me a steady 98 degrees of heat.

Either of these methods give me a rock-solid, dry paintjob within about 12 hours no matter the type of paint I use.

Thank you everyone for the replies I have been working on making a paint booth that will make it easier to spray some good paint. I do run light to have a good view of what I am doing so I will start leaving a light on to help with the cooking. Thank you again.