Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2008 Mustang Bullitt

Starting a new project today...this one will be built as a sort of modern-day GT350R.

The kit:

P1030493.jpg

The inspiration:

DSC04157.jpg

The (very little) progress:

P1030495.jpg

Rear bumper smoothed and exhaust cutouts filled (will be puttied smooth)...

P1030494.jpg

Hood scoop borrowed from an old Monogram GT350H and grafted on...

Progress will be slow, but stay tuned!

Edited by Captain Obvious

A bit of update...

Hood is primed, but looks like it still needs a bit of filler at the seams:

P1030502.jpg

Engine is mostly completed...still needs oil filter painted, and I see the mold seams on the exhaust manifolds that I'm gonna try to sand a bit:

P1030506.jpg

P1030505.jpg

Chassis is painted body color, and will receive further detailing:

P1030507.jpg

Neither the passenger seat nor the back seat will be used. However, without the back seat, there is an unsightly hole to clear the driveshaft tunnel. I fabricated a cover from sheet styrene, and it will be smoothed with putty:

P1030508.jpg

P1030509.jpg

The floor will be flocked as well, to hide my less-than-precise removal of the passenger seat mounting point...lol...and the center console will not be used either, hence the puttied-over mounting points there.

That's it for now...more next weekend!

Engine is mostly completed...still needs oil filter painted, and I see the mold seams on the exhaust manifolds that I'm gonna try to sand a bit:

P1030506.jpg

P1030505.jpg

Don't sweat the mold line on those manifolds, the factory cast iron ones have a prominent casting line on them, it would be different if they were the performance stainless tube ones.

Don't sweat the mold line on those manifolds, the factory cast iron ones have a prominent casting line on them, it would be different if they were the performance stainless tube ones.

Too late, already done...lol...the manifolds were not glued in place, they were a snug fit without glue...so I took 'em off, sanded and repainted them, and pressed them back on.

Couple update pics:

P1030520.jpg

P1030519.jpg

Interior floor is painted flat black, with flocking to conceal the removal of the passenger seat mounting point. The rear-seat area could use a little more finessing of the scratchbuilt cover in the center, but 1) it gives the look and feel of a couple pieces of sheet metal that were welded together, and 2) it won't be that visible anyways. The shift lever, like the hood scoop, came from the Monogram GT350H.

P1030511.jpg

Body prior to priming...I went over door and trunk panel lines with a black pigment pen, so that the lines will (hopefully) appear a bit darker than the surrounding body color. I will repeat this procedure before the final color coat as well.

I coulda sworn that I took a pic of the body after priming, but I guess not...at any rate, it looks like the rear bumper needs a bit of finessing as well. Oh well, I'll get a pic of that (and more) tomorrow.

Oh, and if you're wondering why I smoothed the rear bumper and filled the exhaust cutouts, I intend for this car to have either exhaust dumps or straight pipes exiting ahead of the rear wheels.

Looking good so far! You going to use the Bullitt wheels for the build as well, or go with a larger aftermarket set? Are you goint to rework the lower air intake to more closely resemble the GT350Rs or leave it fairly stock?

Edited by whale392

Looking good so far! You going to use the Bullitt wheels for the build as well, or go with a larger aftermarket set? Are you goint to rework the lower air intake to more closely resemble the GT350Rs or leave it fairly stock?

This build will be largely box-stock...lower air intake will remain stock. I'm using the Bullitt wheels with the spokes painted a gunmetal color. I have to find some tire lettering decals in my stash somewhere though...

Just a little progress tonight...

P1030525.jpg

Chassis is complete, except for the brakes (still mulling over how to mount the wheels/tires) and exhaust (I'll probably just cut short lengths of brass or aluminum tubing, painted white, as exhaust dumps).

Body is kinda primed...ran out of primer, so it'll have to wait until next weekend, when I can pick up another can.

Looking at the GT350R, I'm wondering if I should make some rear quarter window cover panels...

A little new progress...

Interior is pretty much done, dash trim is Bare-Metal Foil, gone over with steel wool before cutting to give a brushed-aluminum look (need to burnish it down a bit better at the edges and around the air vents)...I may try to find a fire extinguisher and add it in as well.

P1030531.jpg

P1030530.jpg

Rolling stock...tire lettering swiped from a Tamiya Formula One car...

P1030533.jpg

I did add quarter-window filler panels...pics tomorrow after another coat of primer.

Baby steps... :rolleyes:

Edited by Captain Obvious

Well, it's finally starting to look like my vision...lol...paint is Testors GTS Blue pearl lacquer, stripes are the white primer that the color coats were laid on top of. This is after one coat of clear, unpolished. Just added a second coat...I'll give it until next weekend to polish it some and see where I stand (being a race car, it doesn't need to be mirror-smooth, thank goodness...lol).

The pics also show the molded-in hood scoop and filled and shaved rear bumper. I'll find something to place in the rear license plate cutout...

P1030541.jpg

P1030539.jpg

P1030536.jpg

• 4 weeks later...