Model Cars Magazine Forum

Butch Leal T-bolt question

I'm looking for a picture of the Calif. Flash T-bolt when it was painted BLACK... now I've been to every T-bolt site, butchleal.com, Craig Suttons site and half the www and just cannot find a pic of it in BLACK. Was it ever BLACK? PLEASE help!! Thanks

Robert

Edited by Coker Creek Speed Shop

I'm looking for a picture of the Calif. Flash T-bolt when it was painted BLACK... now I've been to every T-bolt site, butchleal.com, Craig Suttons site and half the www and just cannot find a pic of it in BLACK. Was it ever BLACK? PLEASE help!! Thanks

Robert

[/quot

Robert,

The Butch Leal Thunderbolt was NEVER black so you can stop looking.

Click on the link provided. Halfway down the page you will see a black and white photo of Leal kneeling by his T-bolt. This car, with the California Flash text on the side, was the black car. The car did exist. I have seen photos of it in color but have no idea where that may be at this time. If I stumble across any in color I will let you know. It's pretty simple to replicate as the car was all black with the chrome trim. The wheel combination was the same as the maroon car. Five spokes up front and black steelies out back.

http://www.butchleal.com/history2.html

Click on the link provided. Halfway down the page you will see a black and white photo of Leal kneeling by his T-bolt. This car, with the California Flash text on the side, was the black car. The car did exist. I have seen photos of it in color but have no idea where that may be at this time. If I stumble across any in color I will let you know. It's pretty simple to replicate as the car was all black with the chrome trim. The wheel combination was the same as the maroon car. Five spokes up front and black steelies out back.

http://www.butchleal.com/history2.html

Wayne, I saw that picture but becaue it was b&w I just wasn't sure because it could be the burgundy car as well, I've seen a color picture of the Ca. Flash that is the burgundy car. Kinda confusing in some ways....Thanks

Wayne, I saw that picture but becaue it was b&w I just wasn't sure because it could be the burgundy car as well, I've seen a color picture of the Ca. Flash that is the burgundy car. Kinda confusing in some ways....Thanks

Robert,

Sure you've seen a b&w photo of the T-bolt and a burgandy car is going to look black in the photo. Butch Leal never had a black T-Bolt. You can always call or e-mail Butch and ask him.

Folks, trust me on this one. This very subject was thoroughly researched by another group of hard core modellers that I belong to and included correspondence from Butch Leal himself. The car was never black!!!

Cap

I'm going to have to agree. I can not find anything that it was ever black. So.... where did Fred Cady get the idea to make decals for a black car and WHY did Bill Coulter build one for MCM in 02? Appericate the input on this, so I will build a burgundy "Mr. 427" version and a Calif. Flash version in burgundy...

Thanks

Edited by Coker Creek Speed Shop

I'm going to have to agree. I can not find anything that it was ever black. So.... where did Fred Cady get the idea to make decals for a black car and WHY did Bill Coulter build one for MCM in 02? Appericate the input on this, so I will build a burgundy "Mr. 427" version and a Calif. Flash version in burgundy...

Thanks

Some people don't do enough research and make decals for a car that never was and builds a car that never was. Just because their names are popular in the hobby doesn't mean that they don't make mistakes.

Some people don't do enough research and make decals for a car that never was and builds a car that never was. Just because their names are popular in the hobby doesn't mean that they don't make mistakes.

True. Cady's decal sheet for the "Bob Ford" T-Bolt builds either the "yellow or silver car." It was never silver but actually "Champagne Gold" The old photos make it look silver.