Model Cars Magazine Forum

Duplicolor primer - to airbrush or to spray from aerosol

I just primed a body using Duplicolor for the first time. I sprayed it from the can, and the result was a lot of texture. It sanded out to be pretty smooth , but I am wondering if I would get less surface texture if I had decanted it and used my airbrush. Any experience with this? Steve Grunt

Guest Gramps-xrds

Any paint or primer will be smoother if it's shot from an air brush. They atomize the liquid into smaller droplets than a can. So, smaller droplets means smaller orange peal or pebbling. Half the time after I spray primer I only sand in areas that have a blemish or imperfection.

I use Krylon for priming jobs, gray, black or red oxide. Never had any problems.

Fine spray, dries fast, inexpensive & I can get it at Wally World. I'm not fond of tearing down and cleaning my airbrush every time I want to spray a small part. I've never had any problems with finish coats over the Krylon either...regardless of what I airbrush for a top coat.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

i never bother shooting primer through an airbrush

to me it seems to work fine coming from a spraycan

however, if you think this can spray in a unacceptable pattern i would suggest changing the nozzle

anytime i empty out a spray can i save the nozzle, just in case i run into a can with a bad nozzle or i clog one up halfway through

As my choice of primers is the unavailable,over priced, baby smooth always...Tamiya,

I have switched over to duplacolor as I have used their sealer primer with great results.

Thus said The trick to using them is the same as ALL SPRAY PAINTS wink.gif Make sure its well shook....3 to 5 min if its been sitting!!!

But it needs warmth to flow and atomize correctly. If you can keep the paint and booth between 78 an 82 degrees F you might be surprised how well it works. I have airbrushed it and just do not get a wide enough pattern unless I use my big touch up gun.....not worth it for primer.

You do turn the can upside down and clear the nozzle don't you??..The blue tips are usually trouble free...the pin can be the culprit....rare but

2 tips out of hundreds used....I will not complain.....although I never had a bad Tamiya nozzel..... wink.gifcool.gif

• 4 weeks later...

As my choice of primers is the unavailable,over priced, baby smooth always...Tamiya,

I have switched over to duplacolor as I have used their sealer primer with great results.

Thus said The trick to using them is the same as ALL SPRAY PAINTS wink.gif Make sure its well shook....3 to 5 min if its been sitting!!!

But it needs warmth to flow and atomize correctly. If you can keep the paint and booth between 78 an 82 degrees F you might be surprised how well it works. I have airbrushed it and just do not get a wide enough pattern unless I use my big touch up gun.....not worth it for primer.

You do turn the can upside down and clear the nozzle don't you??..The blue tips are usually trouble free...the pin can be the culprit....rare but

2 tips out of hundreds used....I will not complain.....although I never had a bad Tamiya nozzel..... wink.gifcool.gif

Agreed, I use the Duplicolour primer exclusivly, not toruble straight from the can. Too warm it up place it in a bowl of the hottest tap water you can and leave it for 5-10min then reshake it, smooth fininsh are the results.