Model Cars Magazine Forum

Indy coming home, 2011!!!!!

Indy car race coming to Baltimore?

Tuesday August 18, 2009

The Unser name is revered in the world of open-wheel car racing, and now, it's become associated with Baltimore.

Al Unser Jr., two-time winner of the Indianapolis 500, has joined Baltimore's effort to bring an open-wheel Indy Racing League race to the city in 2011.

At a press conference yesterday, Unser said he's "very pleased with what’s going on†with Charm City's efforts to land the race, and that it's much further ahead than Boston, Cleveland, Detroit and Houston, the other competing cities.

“The best way to bring attention to Baltimore is to have a street race,†Unser said. “You’re going to have the same cars racing in the Indy 500 racing in Baltimore.â€

The race is anything but a sure thing. According to the Baltimore Business Journal, organizers are still attempting to raise $1.4 million in funding, and they must complete a noise study before April 1, 2010, when the city will decide whether to give its final approval for the event. The Indy Racing League will select a city for a 2011 Grand Prix next July.

I've been to seven Indy 500s, so I can tell you right now - it's going to be loud. But attending a car race in person is a thrill, even if you're not into motor sports. The shere speed of the cars and deafening roar of the engines does not translate onto TV, and the race, which would be part of three days of events, would pump millions of dollars into the economy.

I think it's a great idea. What about you?

Photo: Al Unser Jr. is part of Baltimore Racing Development, which is trying to bring an open-wheel car race to the city in 2011. (Donald Miralle/Getty Images Sport)