Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kinda a FNG kind of old...

So I am a 33 year old SPC in the ND National Guard deployed in Kosovo right now. Thought I would share my story since I am a little board and also ask a few questions. As far back as I can remember my dad was building 1:24-1:25 scale trucks. I was born in 78 and he a good collection going then. I got hooked at about 8 years old. Every time a new issue of trucks, trailers and accessories came out he bought usually three of each. One to keep in the box unopened (I'll tell you about that later) and two or more to build depending on how many variations he could get out of one model. We are talking everythign. Garbage trucks, moving vans, beer trucks, mail trucks, heavy haulers, racing semi's, race car transporters. You name it he had it. And probably every model made from 74 (at least) to 85. He had an airbrush and all would get painted (probably bacause most kits came in white back then). He even had the movie rigs ie: Snowman, Rubber Duck, BJ McKay etc. He had cars for the transporters, heavy construction equipment, military tanks and jeeps, real wood logs for the loggers, chains, straps, and hoses. Well, he had them all set up on a shelving system with trailers. About 250 at least in all. When my sister came along we needed that room so he stored them in boxes about 5 wide. They got stored in my aunt's basement. Of course some trucks came up missing over the 10 or so years they were down there. Nobody has ever fessed up. The trucks missing were his mail trucks, cattle trucks and beer trucks. When he got them back he stored them in a shed that was sealed but flat line winds blew the shed away and now he has about 50-75 trucks left :unsure:. Movie trucks are gone and a lot of other good ones. They are stored in a house now and as soon as I settle down I am getting my paws on them to start resurrecting them. Oh and all those still in the box ones? Gone after that storm. Not a one left. His plans which we have always talked about it is to build a huge diorama with a scale train set. Back in 7th grade I designed working buildings, like a grain elevator with operating conveyors, truck stop, service shop, construction site, etc. At the moment all I have here is a ###### load of LEGOs I bought here and I am building trucks left and right with them. Never too old for LEGO's, lol. Built a few military LEGO trucks. Now onto the questions. Can someone give me a list of companies that make the 1:24-1:25 Scale rigs and accessories. We have been out of the loop since 85? What are the best companies? I know they used to be Revell and AMT. Where do you guys get the customized parts, like cabs and stuff? My dad says he still remembers going to the local hobby shop and picking up a truck for 12 bucks and a trailer for 8, lol. Only model truck I have seen is a Level 4 or 5 difficulty quad axle wrecker for aruound 200-300 dollars. Thanks you guys for your time. Catch ya on the flip side.

Edited by ARTEMIS1759

First off THANK YOU to ALL of you who served this country !

Second welcome aboard and good luck with resurrecting some of those old

rigs !

Thanks for the replies. Yeah the rigs have almost all fallen apart. And some of course are broken so I also need to become a model surgeon.