Model Cars Magazine Forum

Convoy R Model Truck aka "The Big Black Mack with a can on back"

I am not sure if this has been brought up before but I was looking at my Dad's last model he as of this truck (He had 3 or 4. 3 built in different styles and one still in the box)and something looked screwy. Outside of the fact that most parts were incorrect was the Cab also the wrong model? As I recall they used the offset cab instead of the R600, am I right? Was the wheel base even long enough? Seemed a little short. What the hell were they thinking when they put this kit together? I am by no means a pro modeler but this seemed like a poor kit out of the box. He has a couple truck including the correct R600 so I am thinking of using them all and building a correct "Rubber Duck Mack Truck".

You're looking at Ertl's lame attempt to make a Rubber Duck using a DM600. The DM (dump/mixer) had the offset cab, short hood, short wheelbase, heavy suspension, etc. Ertl stuck a sleeper on it and some Rubber Duck decals with a hood ornament and a grille guard and called it good.

Way off.

You need the R688 kit, a an RL700 resin hood, some resin wheels, sleeper etc..

Tim

Thanks. His collection of Macks are pretty beat up. He has a green one that may be the R688 Kit with the longer wheel base and stuff so I started the slow meticulous process of separating pieces. Any suggestions on how to do this without breaking parts? This collection is in such sad shape. Pisses me off. He just never had a place to put them up. But I scrounged through his parts box and found most of the accessories for it that were not chrome plated including the correct wheels. Can't wait to get back from Kosovo because these trucks are on the top of my list to rebuild including buying a 72 Buick GS to restore from my squad leader.

the only good part of the kit is the bullbar - even the bumper is not deep enough. I made mine using an Italeri Mack superliner chassis and cab, and a resin RS700 bonnet from AITM, along with some KFS Budd Wheels.

Dan Bruno has both surviving Real life Duck trucks here:

http://www.stlouisdumptrucks.com/convoy_001.htm

Here's my version:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24420024@N04/sets/72157613188403663/

Well, now also that I have found this site there is a lot of helpful hints and also suppliers I did not know about. May just use them if I need them. The glue is about 25-30 years old. I would like to try and salvage as much as I can with the trucks we have. Also is it possible to strip paint from styrene? By the way that is a nice replica. Should be good referrence pics. I knew about the site with the real truck. I was always fascinated with this and the Road Warrior Mack. I love Macks. I hope I can salvage most of the kits he has. Judging from the looks of yours I have the right pieces to use on mine.

Edited by ARTEMIS1759

• 3 weeks later...