Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24-1/25 compared to 1/29 or G scale

How far off would 1/24-1/25 versus G scale or 1/29 look? Or say 1/20? I was looking at model trains and boats to carry on the back of an Heavy Hauler and was curious since I can't seem to find any in the sacle I like. I know it is a pretty big gap that is why I am curious. Will it be really noticable?

I'm not that big on G scale trains, but I have seen things on ebay advertised as G scale and 1/24(25) scale at the same time, then others as 1/20, and still others as 1/29. I would guess that G scale would be fine with 1/24(25) scale as long as everything looks right. You mentioned trains and ships to use for heavy haulers, were you aware that MPC made a 1/25 scale 1860s era steam locomotive called The General? I have seen it once or twice on ebay, and have one that I'm going to build as a load for a lowboy. Of course, have you also ever thought of giving HO or O scale trucks and equipment a chance? There are some nice products available for both those scales.

I'm not that big on G scale trains, but I have seen things on ebay advertised as G scale and 1/24(25) scale at the same time, then others as 1/20, and still others as 1/29. I would guess that G scale would be fine with 1/24(25) scale as long as everything looks right. You mentioned trains and ships to use for heavy haulers, were you aware that MPC made a 1/25 scale 1860s era steam locomotive called The General? I have seen it once or twice on ebay, and have one that I'm going to build as a load for a lowboy. Of course, have you also ever thought of giving HO or O scale trucks and equipment a chance? There are some nice products available for both those scales.

I cannot buy that the “G†scale train models (Bachmann, Aristocraft) are anywhere close to the advertised 1/24th, 1/22nd or 1/20th scales. If an AMT/Ertl semi trailer is an accurate 1/25th scale 40 foot long, then a “G†scale train trailer should be able to accommodate two model truck trailers as loads at the smallest scale (1/24th scale). I have yet to see a “G’ scale trailer that long.

I cannot buy that the “G†scale train models (Bachmann, Aristocraft) are anywhere close to the advertised 1/24th, 1/22nd or 1/20th scales. If an AMT/Ertl semi trailer is an accurate 1/25th scale 40 foot long, then a “G†scale train trailer should be able to accommodate two model truck trailers as loads at the smallest scale (1/24th scale). I have yet to see a “G’ scale trailer that long.

As I said chuckyr (by the way, you are supposed to have your real name somewhere), I'm not that familiar with G scale trains, I just mentioned some examples of things I've seen. I also mentioned that, since TJ wants something as a load for a truck, not on a train, if it looks right, go for it! There are some of us would build what we want and as long as the look is right, I myself do NOT care if it is scaled exactly to the millimeter, as long as it looks good, it's good enough for me! The only things I said for sure was the reference to the MPC "General" kit, since it is 1/25 scale, and I have one on the shelf to build for a lowboy load of my own and that there are nice things in the HO scale world, since that is the scale railroading I do.

Well personally Im an ho guy but Im pretty sure that No1 scale is acctually 24th scale or the closest thing anyway.My buddy had G and No1 and there both pretty close.Now the rail car you speak of, they do have cars that hold only one trailer.I have one in ho scale.Hope this was helpful.

As I said chuckyr (by the way, you are supposed to have your real name somewhere), I'm not that familiar with G scale trains, I just mentioned some examples of things I've seen. I also mentioned that, since TJ wants something as a load for a truck, not on a train, if it looks right, go for it! There are some of us would build what we want and as long as the look is right, I myself do NOT care if it is scaled exactly to the millimeter, as long as it looks good, it's good enough for me! The only things I said for sure was the reference to the MPC "General" kit, since it is 1/25 scale, and I have one on the shelf to build for a lowboy load of my own and that there are nice things in the HO scale world, since that is the scale railroading I do.

Thanks for the info. I am also looking into the General. The reason I like 1/24-1/25 is that is what my Dad had and I am trying to keep to that scale and from the looks of it I may have to custom build stuff I want so I may look into a cnc.