Model Cars Magazine Forum

80s Ramcharger 4x4 rock crawler...GETTIN CLOSE.

heres my new WIP it was a toss between a D50 drag truck or this , its a monogram 80s ramcharger gone fishin set that i saved from ebay ( 4.50) .. cheep.plans are as follows cut the roof off full cage , full workin jacked susp, with 4 wheel steer, on soreal 50in crawlers, motor toss for a HEMI or a 440..this will be a street crawler so no big body changes in the works....also it will have 2 aluminum dana 60s from my boy jb hobbies...the hood is not in these shots but i have already done the hood months ago it has the R/T scoop section from a 70 challenger molded on .

006-6.jpg

005-8.jpg

008-2.jpg

019.jpg

Edited by mopar01lee

that looks like a great candidate for a rebuild....not a lick of paint on her :D

and you say it came with a boat ?

very cool

well this is the truck that came with a boat butt it was long gone by the time i got it from ebay ,, butt i do have the gone fishin set unopend in my closet.... thank for the comment..

gotta update for all you fine modelers,,

first i started by cleaning up the frame of all the unwanted molded stuff ( molded in exust ).. with that cleaned up i added some new frame rail dipps for the susp mounting points. an added some cross braces...

001.jpg

i also started to make the shocks that will be used. they are made from aluminum tube an styrenerod and a ink pen spring . there is close to 3/4 of an inch of movement or more...

007.jpg

sorry for the blury pic batteries went dead.... :D

008.jpg

next i could not resist it mock up .. now this is not the highth of the truck it will be about 1 to 1 1/2 in higher... oh ya i also cut the roof off gotta lill more work on this.. B):D;)

003.jpg

002.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmm I'm liking that mock up , looks really nice , more please :):D

hey fellas thank you for the suport on this ,, ive had this truck an tires sittin for like 6 months so its time ....

heres a hint on the color . the name of this truck will be pumkin crawler an its the hint to the color..

i will have more pics tonight or tomarrow mornin..:o

not a big update , took my kids to water park so not much done .. well heres some 4link pics these will be bolted with brass nuts an bolts... more soon i hope to have most of the rear done in a day or 2... enjoy.. B):D:D

025.jpg

026.jpg

this is the pic of the upper 4link bars...

029.jpg

heres a good shot of the fram with the brackets made ....

030.jpg

new pics ,, here is the ride hight of the ramcharger ... enjoy these pics there will be more soon......

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

the top 4link bars are not goin to be used i wanted them too , but for drive shaft reasons its not goin to so the top bars will look like the bottom 4 link bars...

004-1.jpg

the ride height looks perfect :) not too high and not where it's right on top of the tires.

have you thought about using a 3-link style set-up on the rear? a wishbone style upper link could work and solve the driveshaft clearance issues at the same time.

Dave

thanks bro..

an ya ive been thinkin a 3 link but right now im sourcin somr ref pics to find the best linked rear for this build ...

so im gonna start the front till i find the best .....

thanks for the sugestion...

Looks like it is going to be a cool build coming along nicely the hieght is perfect

hate low 4X4's

hey bro thanks im havin a blast with this one ,,,

havin a prob with the rear upper but i think i got it figured out..

and me to the higher the better .... :(:):)

Commin along sweet my friend keep up the good work , And thats some excellent scratch building there! :blink:

thank you bro ..that means alot commin from a builder like you ..

i try my best and if i dont like it ill do it all over till i do. :o:DB)

got a small update for you all.

i was able to get the front 4link brackets done with the lowwer links..

006.jpg

next pic you can see the hood . an also the rear diff its aluminum an has the brackets for the 3link wish bone susp im tryin to do

but with it bein alum it dont want to stay glued ,its glued for now ...lol

007-1.jpg

i started the body work . got some primmer on it to see if it had any issues that i need to fix.

to my suprise just a few glue spots an were the mirrors use to be ..

005.jpg

ok now i hope all you like mock up pics as much as i do cuz im realy likin the way this is turnin out..

004-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

001-2.jpg