Model Cars Magazine Forum

Autocar Constructor

I have been building trucks since I was 10 (1975). I stumbled across this site and it has motivated me to finish my an Autocar Constructor I modified from an old AMT kit. I started this in 1988!

Here is where I am at today.

4762902853_05ef7f6bca.jpg

4762902939_62311e165d.jpg

4763541038_a2f0322141.jpg

4763541100_ff3a17a55f.jpg

I plan on painting it red and displaying it as part of a gravel train.

Edited by QCDOC

LoL!

It is brass sheet and brass piano hinge soldered to the brass. I used to be an airframe mechanic so I just pounded it out.....in 1988 :D

I reworked the cab and radiator to the proper dimensions.

Uh oh. Must have been used for some serious hauling offroad. Looks like the front axles broke... :D. Nice build. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

B)

I had to round up some parts. Primer today and top coat later this week.

wow thats quite the rig your biulding there, alot of handbiult work. i like it, lol and i thought i was taking my time on my biulds i started 7 months ago. cant wait to see this one all hooked up to that gravel train, its gonna be a nice one!!

dennis

LOL, you'll fit right in here with some of us!!!! LOL

I have the same kit that I started probably around the same time frame as yours and it's about as finished as yours! LOL

I can't even tell you how many i've "started" since then! B)

Actually, this is the second time I built a gravel train. Back in high school, (1981) I built one and added lights. Unfortunately that kit was destroyed. When I was in the Army.

4773322779_90e766a2ab_b.jpg

This was an attempted to build an updated version of the old AMT kit. I went to a local gravel yard and took photos and measurements. I think I added a scale 8 inches to the top of the cab and 6 inches to the bottom as a skirt. I widened the radiator and lengthened the hood. This was based on on actual truck.

• 1 month later...