Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Cobra" 50 Mercury Custom Coupe

Car Crazy 81

I'd recently started on this project just never posted any progress until now. I'd filled in the parking lights with the sprue from the kit and modified the kits fender skirts in order to raise them a little.

Cobra.jpg

Cobra3.jpg

Heres where im at so far on this build.

ModelCars087-1.jpg

ModelCars088.jpg

ModelCars089.jpg

ModelCars090.jpg

Edited by LSU Fan 1981

This build went together pretty good a major hurdle is fabbing the hood scoop for it. The engine im using is from a AMT Nascar kit and used a parts box oil pan & tranny. Now i'd gotta order up some pieces from Replicas & Miniatures and Arrowhead Specailities. One thing thats not shown in the movie is the interior except the dash.

This build went together pretty good a major hurdle is fabbing the hood scoop for it. The engine im using is from a AMT Nascar kit and used a parts box oil pan & tranny. Now i'd gotta order up some pieces from Replicas & Miniatures and Arrowhead Specailities. One thing thats not shown in the movie is the interior except the dash.

I bet you could get the scoop close if you cut down a Boss 429 scoop or an early Mopar superstock style scoop like in the S&M GTX or the 67 Coronet kit (readily available in resin) and added the center piece to separate the opening. I can't recall a 70-71 Torino GT kit but that would be another close match.

OK so check this out. Apparently the car was stolen in 94 from Sly and then it resurfaced last year on the net and he is suing for the car and 3 million in damages.

http://stallonezone.com/wordpress/?cat=26

And here is the front seat interior pic and a few others. Rear I would imagine should be the same design. Even an engine pic of the supercharged 350. Don't forget the Nitrous switch on the dash.:

http://photos.tmz.com/galleries/stallones_stolen_cobra_car#id=57099

I guess now we know where the stolen car went.

Edited by ARTEMIS1759

• 3 weeks later...

I'd managed to get some paint on the Merc i'd used Dupli-Color Dark Shadow Gray Metallic which is the closest as i can get to match the movie car. The Chevy 350 ci is from a AMT Nascar kit and added an oil pan from a Revell 56 Nomad, parts box supercharger, Revell 69 Nova valve covers and also grafted a Turbo 400 tranny.

ModelCars110.jpg

ModelCars111.jpg

ModelCars112.jpg

ModelCars113.jpg

Edited by LSU Fan 1981

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...